If you need an easy Asian inspired dish that your family will love then this might be the recipe for you. Crock-Pot Asian Pineapple Chicken over Rice combines the sweet and sour flavor with pineapple for a delicious dinner made easy in your slow cooker!
Crock-Pot Asian Pineapple Chicken over Rice
This yummy chicken recipe was created based on having a package of boneless skinless chicken thighs in my freezer that I needed to cook up and so I looked in my pantry and pulled out a few ingredients to come up with a yummy dinner for my family.
There is just 5 ingredients in this recipe (plus rice to serve it with) so it is super simple to make. The chicken thigh meat comes out super tender and moist and the water chestnuts add a nice crunch to the dish that I just loved.
Give this recipe a try when you need a simple recipe that is kid friendly for dinner!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs – Chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts and they come out moister when cooked in the slow cooker because the meat has more connective tissue which just cooks lovely in the slow cooker. You can of course use boneless skinless chicken breasts too in this recipe if you want.
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce – I like to use a low sodium soy sauce in my recipes whenever possible just to bring down the sodium count. If you are on a gluten-free diet look for a gluten-free soy sauce or a tamari sauce.
- Canned Pineapple Chunks – You will drain the liquid from the pineapple before adding it to the slow cooker.
- Canned Water Chestnuts – These water chestnuts can be found in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores and they add some nice crunch to the dish. Drain the liquid off from the can before adding to the slow cooker.
- Bottled Sweet & Sour Sauce – I just used my favorite brand of pre-made bottled sweet and sour sauce that I already had on hand in my pantry. If you want to make your own this recipe for the BEST Sweet and Sour Sauce from The Daring Gourmet is one of my favorites.
- Cooked Rice – You will prepare the rice on the stove-top or in your rice cooker about 30 minutes before the chicken in the slow cooker is done. You can serve with plain white rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice or brown rice.
- Green Onion – Also known as scallions, a sprinkle of sliced green onions adds a pop of color to the dish right before serving. This ingredient is optional however. Just a garnish.
- Place chicken pieces in the bottom of a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add soy sauce and pineapple chunks to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add water chestnuts and continue cooking on LOW for 1 hour.
- Stir in sweet and sour sauce before serving over rice that you have cooked on the stove-top, garnishing with a little sliced green onions if desired.
- 5 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Can Opener
- Medium Saucepan With Lid Or Rice Cooker (for cooking the rice)
Check out these fantastic Asian inspired recipes too:
- Crock-Pot Crab Rangoon Dip + Video
- Slow Cooker Asian Sliders
- Crock-Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Pork Chops
- Crock-Pot Teriyaki Chicken
|Chicken Crock-Pot Recipes||Chicken Thigh Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Easy Slow Cooker Recipes||Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Asian Crock-Pot Recipes||Entree Slow Cooker Recipes|
Linked up at: Eat at Home