Are you looking for an old-fashioned and frugal side dish recipe? Then look no further than this simple 3-ingredient recipe for Crock-Pot Cabbage And Bacon! Not only is this recipe delicious but it is keto diet friendly too!
Slow Cooker Cabbage And Bacon
I remember growing up my grandma, who was born and raised on a farm in during the Great Depression, making a cabbage and bacon side dish that was really delicious in it’s simplicity. She used to tell me about how cabbage was an easy vegetable to grow and it really stretched a lot of their Depression era meals.
Bacon while delicious was also more dear to the pocketbook. But a little bacon goes a long way when it comes to adding flavor to this recipe and others!
Side note – I love bacon so much I have a Pinterest board dedicated to my favorite bacon recipes! You should check it out at the following link ->You had me at BACON!
So, I decided to adapt my grandmas cabbage and bacon side dish recipe to the slow cooker. Because, well that’s just what I do!
The recipe has three ingredients (I don’t count water, salt and pepper) and is pretty easy to make. The hardest part is frying up some bacon. I opted to cook my bacon in a great-grandmas 100+ year old cast iron skillet for nostalgia reasons, but any skillet will work.
Once your bacon is crispy you are going to add the bacon (plus some of the bacon grease) to some cut up cabbage in the slow cooker. Then, add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (it adds a pop of brightness to the cabbage and bacon) plus some water, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Let that cook away for just 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the HIGH setting until the cabbage is as softened as you like. Stir it and serve it.
I find this slow cooker cabbage and bacon really goes well with something like pan fried pork chops. But you can serve it with any dish really.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Gluten Free | Keto | Low Calorie | Low Carb | Low Sugar
This recipe for Crock-Pot Cabbage And Bacon is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Frugal Slow Cooker Recipes To Try!
Crock-Pot Hamburger Soup
This warm & satisfying Slow Cooker Hamburger soup recipe is sure to please the entire family. Loaded with hamburger, veggies & pasta this is a keeper!
Crock-Pot Turkey Pot Pie
Your family will enjoy this warm, moist and delicious recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey Pot Pie any day of the week! Turkey, veggies, potatoes, & a crusty top!
Crock-Pot Hoppin' John
This classic Slow Cooker Hoppin' John recipe is perfect for New Years or any day of the week. Serve this frugal & tasty recipe with cornbread for dinner!
Crock-Pot Mom's Meatloaf and Potatoes
Only 9 ingredients needed in this classic recipe for Slow Cooker Mom's Meatloaf and Potatoes! A complete slow cooker dinner!
- 10 Ingredients Or Less Crock-Pot Recipes
- 3 Ingredients Or Less Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5 Ingredients Or Less Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Crock-Pot Side Dish Recipes
- Crock-Pot Weight Watchers Recipes With 5 Ingredients Or Less
- Pork Crock-Pot Recipes
Crock-Pot Cabbage And Bacon Recipe
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot or larger slow cooker
- 12 Ounces Center Cut Bacon
- 1 Head Green Cabbage (cored and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cut the bacon into ½ inch pieces and fry in a large skillet on the stove-top until browned and crispy.12 Ounces Center Cut Bacon
- Drain off excess bacon fat and reserve ⅓ cup.
- Add the cut up cabbage, reserved bacon fat and remaining ingredients to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and stir to coat everything in the bacon fat.1 Head Green Cabbage –1 Cup Water –2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar –1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt –½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours depending on how softened you like your cabbage.
- Stir once more before serving and enjoy!
Leave a Reply