Using a sharpened knife and the right skill and technique is all you need to know when it comes to learning how to cut a hard squash. In this guide we will walk you through how to safely cut open any variety of winter squash like acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkins and more!
During the cooler Autumn and Winter months hard skinned winter squashes are in season and are at a great price.
I just picked some acorn squash here at my local grocery store last night for 59¢ a lb. Which is just a great price!
However these bad boys are hard to cut. If you have never cut a hard winter squash here is a very helpful video from Chef Billy Parisi and Heinen’s grocery store to show you how it’s done!
Step By Step Guide On How To Cut A Hard Squash
- The first important step to cutting a hard fall or winter squash is to have a very sharp chef’s knife and a sturdy cutting board. Having the right tools will prevent you from accidentally cutting yourself.
- The next step is to use your sharp knife to cut the squash in half. You may need to use some pressure to cut through the hard skin and flesh of these squashes.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy flesh inside the cavity of the hard squash. You can either discard these seeds or you can roast them in the oven. Roasted pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas) are a classic snack but you can roast the seeds from any winter squash and they will taste pretty close to roasted pumpkin seeds!
- Once you have two halves of cut open and cleaned out squash you can either cook the squash as is, like in this recipe for Crock-Pot Sweet Acorn Squash, or you can cut the flesh of the squash into slices or cubes. It all depends on how you are using the squash in a recipe.
- When cutting the squash into cube or slices always remember to use proper knife technique by tucking your fingers in so you do not accidentally cut your fingers!
Types Of Hard Winter Squashes
- Blue Hokkaido Pumpkin
- Butternut Squash
- Cheese Pumpkin
- Delicata Squash
- Hubbard Squash
- Kabocha Squash
- Red Kuri Pumpkins
- Rouge Vif d’Etampes Pumpkins
- Spaghetti Squash
- Sugar Pie Pumpkins
- Sweet Dumpling Squash
- Turban Squash
- White Pumpkins
Crock-Pot Butternut Squash Recipes
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili
- Crock-Pot Black Bean, Chorizo and Butternut Squash Chili
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
Slow Cooker Acorn Squash Recipes
Crock-Pot Pumpkin Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter
- Crock-Pot Peach Pumpkin Butter
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cheesecake Bread
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Pie Moonshine
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Risotto
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Pie Granola
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Cheesecake In A Jar
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Apple Harvest Snack Cake
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Praline Bread Pudding
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spiced Latte
- Crock-Pot Pumpkin Soup
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread
- Crock-Pot Basic Pumpkin Puree
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Crunch Custard