This vegetarian recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is delish any time! Full of fresh vegetables and herbs it is sure to become a favorite.
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
I have to admit, I am not huge fan of tomato soup. I think I just have too many not so fond memories of canned soup from school lunches that it really turned me off of tomato soup. But I knew, I just KNEW that a homemade soup would beat a canned version any day so I set my sights on making a some tomato soup from scratch and I have to say folks…this soup is WAY better than any old canned soup!
If you are a gardener this soup would be a great use for your home canned tomatoes. However you can also use some high quality canned tomatoes too. They key ingredient here really is fresh basil. I grow a pot of herbs year round in my kitchen so it was easy to harvest some for this soup. However, almost all grocery stores these days sell fresh basil in the produce department.
I decided to make this a vegetarian recipe (not vegan) too. I was at first going to use chicken broth as the base of the soup but I had some vegetable broth in the pantry and could not see any reason why I could not use that instead of chicken. If you are not vegetarian you can of course use chicken broth instead. Now mind you there is a half & half and cheese in this recipe. I am sure there are vegan substitutes for both which you could experiment with.
This is a recipe you can set up in the morning and cook all day. Then about 1/2 an hour before you are ready to serve add the half & half and let it cook a little bit longer. We served our soup with some lovely grilled Mozzarella & Parmesan cheese panini sandwiches. Which we perfect for dipping in the soup. YUM!
Gluten Free | Low Calorie | Low Carb | Low Fat | Low Sugar | Vegetarian
This recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
If You Like This Tomato Soup Recipe You Might Also Like These Soups Too!
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This simple recipe for Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup is filled with chicken, black beans & corn. Then made creamy with masa harina & cheese.
Crock-Pot Chicken Minestrone Soup
Full of fresh veggies from your garden or farmer's market this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Minestrone Soup is full of great Italian flavor!
Crock-Pot Bacon & Bean Soup
This easy to make recipe for Slow Cooker Bacon & Bean Soup Recipe combines the down home flavors of beans and bacon in a belly warming combination that is sure to please. Prepare your soup in the morning and let it cook all day for an easy healthy dinner.
Crock-Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Everyone loves this delicious and creamy recipe for Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup! Think of a cheeseburger in soup form with this easy recipe!
Crock-Pot Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 4 Quart Crock-Pot to 6 quart slow cooker
- Immersion Blender or regular blender
- 3 Medium Carrots (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (finely diced)
- 3 Ribs Celery (finely diced)
- 28 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ Cup Fresh Basil (chopped, or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Cups Half & Half (can use fat-free)
- Salt And Pepper (to taste)
- To a 4-6 quart slow cooker add the carrots, onion, celery, canned tomatoes, oregano, basil and vegetable broth.3 Medium Carrots –1 Medium Yellow Onion –3 Ribs Celery –28 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes –1 Tablespoon Fresh Oregano –¼ Cup Fresh Basil –3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until the vegetables are cooked and soft.
- Using a hand-held blender right in the slow cooker blend until the soup is to your desired smoothness (I left it a little chunky, but you can blend until completely smooth if you desire).
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and half & half to the soup in the crock-pot and turn the heat up to high.1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese –2 Cups Half & Half
- Cover and cook for 30 to 40 additional minutes until the soup is hot.
- Taste soup and season with salt & pepper to your preferences and serve.Salt And Pepper
Leave a Reply