A great meal for a cold winter day this recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Soup is an easy, filling soup that your family will love!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Soup
Our family was given bags of fresh broccoli, so I needed to come up with some new meals for that broccoli, and my son absolutely loves Cheesy Broccoli and Rice so I decided to make a soup and do it in the Crock-Pot.
I have previously made a Three Cheese Broccoli Soup that was SO delicious, but this time I didn’t have the various cheeses on hand and wanted to simplify the meal, so I went with an easier “cheese”.
It worked amazingly well and the only time consuming part is cutting up the broccoli. You can also use frozen broccoli that you have thawed, but you will want to trim the stems off.
If you have some leftover cooked chicken you can add some cubed or shredded chicken to the soup to up the protein factor. But as is, this recipe is awesome!
This would also be a great base recipe to add any leftover veggies you may have floating around in your refrigerator. It is a very flexible recipe, so to experiment!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Soup Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Small Skillet
- Can Opener
- Dry Measuring Spoons
- Cheese Grater
Frequently Asked Questions
Cauliflower would be great in this soup to replace all or even some of the broccoli. I have made this recipe using all cauliflower as well as half cauliflower and half broccoli. Both were fantastic!
We have tested this recipe several different ways and found that adding cooked rice near the end of the cooking time was the best method. When we tested this recipe using dry uncooked rice the rice either took too long to absorb any liquid and the broccoli turned to mush or the broccoli was perfect and the rice was under-cooked. This recipe is great for using up leftover rice from a previous meal or you can easily cook rice on the stove-top or in a rice cooker.
You absolutely can use frozen broccoli instead of fresh. In fact there is no need to adjust the recipe cooking time at all when you use frozen broccoli. And the broccoli can go in the slow cooker frozen, no need to thaw it first.
More Amazing Slow Cooker Soups!
Crock-Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat) + Video
Tender potato gnocchi floats in a creamy soup in this easy to make Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup recipe! Our version of the Olive Garden's famous recipe!
Crock-Pot Posole Soup
This simple and authentic Mexican recipe for Slow Cooker Posole Soup will warm you up with the traditional flavors of Mexico . A slow cooker favorite!
Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious family recipe that will be a great addition to your family meals. Chickens, beans, tomatoes and tortillas.
Crock-Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Frozen vegetables, potatoes and ground beef are cooked with vegetable juice for a healthy and easy recipe for Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup! So easy!
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Fall Recipes
- Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes
- Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- Winter Recipes
Crock-Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 3 Pounds Fresh Broccoli Florets (About 2 Heads, Stems Trimmed)
- 43 Ounces Canned Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup (4 (10.75 Ounce) Cans)
- 36 Ounces Canned Evaporated Milk (3 (12 Ounce) Cans)
- 10.75 Ounces Canned Cream Of Celery Soup (1 (10.75 Ounce) Can)
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Mustard
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice (White, Brown Or Wild Rice)
- 16 Ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Saute the diced onion in the butter in a small frying pan on the stove top until the onion has turned translucent.
- While the onion is cooking wash and trim the broccoli heads, trimming off as much of the woody stem as possible.
- Line a 6 quart or larger slow cooker with a slow cooker liner (optional but makes clean up easier). Pour in the condensed cheddar cheese soup, cream of celery soup and then add your broccoli florets.
- Add the evaporated milk, onions and spices and stir everything together well.
- Cover and cook on LOW to 3 to 4 hours stirring at least once in the middle of the cooking time.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, add the cooked rice and shredded cheese to the crock-pot and stir everything together and cook for 20 minutes to give the cheese some time to melt into the soup.
- Serve in bowls with crusty bread to dip into your soup and enjoy!
Leave a Reply