This simple and authentic Mexican recipe for Crock-Pot Posole Soup will warm you up with the traditional flavors of Mexico . Simple to make in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Posole Soup
I grew up with a Mexican step family and for that I am really glad because I had the opportunity to grow up with a Mexican grandma who cooked and showed us (the girls at least…that was just her way) how to cook. I have fond memories of sitting at her big kitchen table sorting a 25 lb. bag of Pinto beans, or warming the tortillas on the comal that we had for every meal. And I remember the yummy dishes. Enchiladas, burritos, tacos, and the soups. While Menudo seemed to be the most popular soup, it seemed like there was always a pot simmering on the back burner. It just really wasn’t my favorite. I think at some point someone told me that it contained tripe (cow’s stomach) and it grossed me out. So if I HAD to eat a bowl I would just pick out the hominy.
But my favorite soup grandma Lopez made was Posole. Slow simmered pork with spices and aromatics and tons of hominy rounding it out with this earthy corn flavor.
And while grandma didn’t cook her soup in a Crock-Pot this recipe is pretty much the same as hers except instead of simmering on low on the stove we simmer away in the crock. And it tastes just as good as I remember.
Gluten Free | Low Calorie | Low Carb | Low Fat | Low Sugar
This recipe for Crock-Pot Posole Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Slow Cooker Soups To Love!
Crock-Pot Taco Soup
Everyone loves this recipe for Slow Cooker Taco Soup because it really is the BEST taco soup you can make in your slow cooker! Full of flavor and frugal too!
Crock-Pot Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup
This Weight Watchers friendly recipe for Slow Cooker Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Soup is delicious! Top with cilantro, sour cream & fresh lime juice for a healthy soup everyone will love!
Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Taco Soup
Dig into a bowl of this delicious Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Taco Soup! A smooth, tangy recipe loaded with beans, ground beef, tomatoes, cheese & cream.
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This simple slow cooker recipe for Slow Cooker Creamy Tortilla Soup is filled with chicken, black beans & corn. Then made creamy with masa harina & cheese.
Crock-Pot Posole Soup Recipe
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot or larger slow cooker
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 2 Pounds Boneless Pork Tenderloin (cut into 1-inch pieces )
- 31 Ounces Canned White Hominy (drained)
- 14.5 Ounces Canned Tomato Sauce (undrained)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- 8 Ounces Canned Fire Roasted Diced Green Chilies (undrained)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- ½ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- In a large skillet on the stove top heat the vegetable oil until hot.1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Add the pork and cook and stir until the meat is browned on all sides.2 Pounds Boneless Pork Tenderloin
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and place the meat in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add all of the ingredients except the cilantro, salt and pepper and stir.14.5 Ounces Canned Tomato Sauce –31 Ounces Canned White Hominy –1 Medium Yellow Onion –8 Ounces Canned Fire Roasted Diced Green Chilies –4 Cloves Garlic –½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper –2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- Add enough water to fill the slow cooker 3/4 of the way full.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours.
- Taste soup and add salt and pepper to your liking and stir in the chopped cilantro.Kosher Salt –½ Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro –Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and enjoy!
Fantastic soup! I’m thinking about making a seafood version.