This simple slow cooker recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Tortilla Soup is filled with chicken, black beans & corn. Then made creamy with masa harina & cheese.
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This simple slow cooker recipe is one I will be making over and over I am sure. The soup is perfect for a chilly day I think and was rather easy to come together.
The soup starts with some chicken broth (store bought or homemade) and then some diced onion, minced garlic and some simple spices such as cumin, salt, pepper and just a dash of cayenne. Then you toss in whole raw boneless skinless chicken breasts (or I suppose you could also use chicken thighs). Toss in some cooked black beans (canned or make them yourself), some frozen corn and let things simmer away for several hours.
Remove the chicken from the soup and let it cool just a few minutes and then shred or dice it (I decided to shred it) and add it back into the crockpot.
Next comes the magic…a slurry of masa harina and milk is whisked up and added to the soup as a thickener.
If you are unfamiliar with masa harina it is just a basic corn flour that is used in mostly Latin cooking to make delicious homemade corn tortillas, the dough for tamales, and other delicious and amazingly.wonderful.I.could.eat.Mexican.food.all.day dishes! 😉
But like I said…this slurry of masa harina and milk is added to your soup and at the same time you are going to add some oh so delicious cheese. Give it a stir and let it cook about 30 minutes longer. As it cooks things are going to get nice and creamy as the cheese melts and the masa does it’s job.
Oh yeah…the masa…it adds a nice corny tortilla flavor to your soup.
How To Serve Creamy Tortilla Soup
Now it is time to get to eating…ladle your soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.
- Crispy Tortillas – You can either make them yourself by cutting fresh corn tortillas into strips and frying them for a few minutes in hot oil on the stove-top OR you can buy pre-made crispy tortilla strips. In a pinch tortilla chips will also work too!
- Fresh Lime
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion
- Jalapeno Peppers
- Red Onion
Top your soup with whatever your heart desires and then dig on in and enjoy!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Mexican Crock-Pot Soup Recipes To Try!
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- Winter Recipes
Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot or larger
- 2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (or chicken thighs)
- 64 Ounces Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 16 Ounces Frozen Corn Kernels
- 2 Cups Canned Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 14.5 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies (with juice)
- 1 Cup Diced Yellow Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ⅓ Cup Masa Harina
- 1 ⅓ Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Salt And Pepper (to taste)
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker add the chicken, broth, corn, black beans, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, cumin and cayenne.2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts –64 Ounces Low-Sodium Chicken Broth –16 Ounces Frozen Corn Kernels –2 Cups Canned Black Beans –14.5 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies –1 Cup Diced Yellow Onion –3 Cloves Garlic –1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin –½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock-pot and let cool slightly (about 5 minutes) and shred with a fork or dice into bite sized pieces and add chicken back to soup.
- In a small bowl combine the milk and masa harina and stir with a fork until there are no lumps. Add this mixture to soup along with shredded cheese.⅓ Cup Masa Harina –1 ⅓ Cup Milk –2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Stir, cover and cook an additional 30 minutes to allow the masa and cheese to thicken and melt.
- Taste soup and season to your liking with salt and pepper.Salt And Pepper
- Ladle into bowls and top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!