Everyone loves this recipe for Crock-Pot Taco Soup because it really is the BEST taco soup you can make in your slow cooker! Full of flavor and frugal too!
Slow Cooker Taco Soup
This is a recipe that I picked up from my sister-in-law Kristi. We made it while our extended family was on a camping trip and it has become one of my families favorite recipes by far. I now make this soup at least once a month because my husband and kids love it so much. Plus, the leftovers make great lunches for me and my husband for a few days.
Traditionally this recipe is made on the stove-top but it was quite easy to adapt it to the slow cooker. Outside of browning the ground beef and onion, everything else is just a dump it in the pot and let it heat up.
On our camping trip to Yellowstone National Park there were 6 separate families camping together and I have to tell you, it was a blast! Each family teamed up together to create dinners for the entire group and Kristi and I teamed to make this soup for dinner one night.
To be honest, of all the meals we cooked that week this Taco Soup recipe was the best one by far because it really hit the spot after a long day of site seeing and warmed us up on those cold Yellowstone nights. Yes cold, even in the summer when we were camping the temperatures in Yellowstone can drop into the 50’s!
And speaking of Yellowstone….here is my favorite picture from that trip. I loved seeing all of the wildlife but the grizzly bears were a highlight of the trip for sure!
Grizzly Bear – Yellowstone National Park
Check out these delicious soups too!
- Slow Cooker Potato & Kielbasa Chowder
- Crock-Pot Lobster Bisque
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Crock-Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Meatball Beef Stew
Crock-Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 Pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions (Diced)
- 31 Ounces Canned Pinto Beans
- 15.5 Ounces Canned Kidney Beans
- 15.25 Ounces Canned Corn
- 43.5 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes With Green Chilies (Such As RoTel Brand)
- 9 Ounces Canned Diced Green Chilies
- 1.25 Ounces Low Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix (1 Package Store Bought Or 3 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1 Ounce Ranch Dressing Mix (1 Package Store Bought Or 3 Tablespoons Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix)
- In a large skillet on the stove-top, brown the hamburger with the diced onion until the hamburger is cooked and browned.
- Drain off excess fat from the cooked ground beef and add the meat to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the soup and stir to combine. Make sure to include the liquid from all cans as this forms the soup.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls to serve topping each bowl with your favorite toppings such as cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, green onion, etc.
- Place all ingredients into a 1 gallon size zippered freezer bag OR FoodSaver bag.
- Place bag on flat surface and seal bag closed while pressing out as much excess air as possible OR use your FoodSaver sealing system to vacuum seal the bag closed.
- Label bag with date prepared, name of recipe, ingredients and cooking instructions.
- Lay bag flat in freezer and allow to freeze for several hours. At that point you can stand the bags upright in your freezer if desired.
- Remove freezer meal bag from freezer and place either in refrigerator overnight OR in a clean kitchen sink filled with cool water for several hours just until the freezer meal is partially thawed enough to dump the contents of the bag into the slow cooker.
- Cook according to the recipe directions adding 1 additional hour cooking time (in this case 7 to 9 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH from the partially thawed state ).
This recipe is linked at: Sugar Bean Bakers