This family friendly casserole recipe for Crock-Pot Tamale Bake brings all the delicious Mexican food flavors into a super easy one pot dish!
Slow Cooker Tamale Bake
My family LOVES Mexican food! And, while this recipe is not an authentic Mexican dish it is inspired by those delicious south of the border flavors we all love.
This yummy casserole type dish really hits the spot on a busy weeknight dinner. Filled with ground beef and seasoned with onions, garlic, tomatoes, black olives and seasonings then this casserole is topped with a homemade cornbread type topping and cooked in the slow cooker. Once everything is cooked add some cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of green onion for color.
This is one of my go-to recipes when I need something that I KNOW my kids will eat after a busy day of school and then evening after-school activities!
A note about ground beef:
In this recipe extra lean ground beef browned and crumbled on the stove-top. If you are short on time you can cook the hamburger meat ahead of time like the day before and just stash it in the refrigerator until you are ready to make this dish.
If you want to make meal prep even easier buy the big package of ground beef when it is on sale and cook it all up and freeze it. Then, you can just pull a bag of frozen pre-cooked hamburger out of the freezer and you area ready to cook any dish that calls for ground beef!
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Wooden Spoon
- Can Opener
- Measuring Cups
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
This recipe for Crock-Pot Tamale Bake is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More fantastic Mexican inspired recipes:
- Slow Cooker Taco Junk
- Crock-Pot Taco Chicken Bowls
- Slow Cooker Taco Bake
- Crock-Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Slow Cooker Southwest Tamale Pie
Crock-Pot Tamale Bake Recipe
- 1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Beef (Or Ground Turkey)
- ½ Cup Finely Diced Yellow Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic (Minced)
- ¾ Cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 ½ Cups Milk
- 15.25 Ounces Canned Corn (Drained)
- 14.5 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes (Undrained)
- 1.25 Ounces Taco Seasoning Mix (Or Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 2.25 Ounces Canned Sliced Black Olives (Drained)
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ Cups Sliced Green Onions (For Garnish (Optional))
- In a large skillet brown and crumble the ground beef with the diced onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink.
- Drain ground beef to remove excess fat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cornmeal, egg and milk and mix until smooth.
- Add to the cornmeal mixture the corn, tomatoes, taco seasoning, olives and ground beef mixture and mix well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 6 hours.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cover again and cook for an additional 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- To serve, spoon into bowls or onto plate and garnish with chopped green onion if desired.