Dig into a bowl of this delicious Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Taco Soup! A smooth, tangy recipe loaded with beans, ground beef, tomatoes, cheese & cream.
Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Taco Soup
Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Taco Soup was a recipe that came about because my family had been purchasing so much cream cheese I needed a way to start using it up quickly before it went bad. That isn’t an uncommon reason for why I figure out a recipe, wanting to not waste extra food before it is unusable. Gotta have a little bit of my grandparents in me, that tried to squeeze everything they could out of their food after living through the depression.
Since my family really enjoys taco soup and I make it quite a bit, I just adapted a recipe I had been using, to make it a smoother, creamy southwest version.
I had actually started making this version, a while back, to use up some clearance tomato soup that someone had purchased and it’s flavor was just a bit strange for tomato soup, but worked just fine with a can of it added to a huge batch of taco soup and I just now always add a can of tomato soup.
I began adding cabbage to our taco soup because it’s an easy way to get my family to eat cabbage without them knowing it. As long as I shred it well and thin it cooks down so small they don’t realize it, so if you think that is just too strange for a taco soup you can omit.
As with most soup recipes in the crock they are rather open, If you have a favorite ingredient that your family loves, feel free to add it! You really can’t mess this up.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Taco Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Creamy Southwest Taco Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 large Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 16 ounces Canned Tomato Soup
- 8 ounces Canned Tomato Sauce
- 15 ounces Canned Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounces Canned Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups Cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 20 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 4 cups Chicken Broth (may use less)
- 15 ounces Canned Corn
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese (cubed)
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- In a medium skillet brown and crumble the ground beef. Drain off excess grease from meat and place cooked hamburger in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, tomato soup, tomato sauce, black beans, kidney beans, and tomato sauce.
- Add up to 4 cups of chicken broth. (You’ll still need to add cabbage, corn and cream cheese so give yourself some room still.)
- Add the thinly sliced cabbage, diced tomatoes, and salt.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 – 7 hours.
- Add the corn and cubed cream cheese.
- Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes and then stir the soup to mix the melted cream cheese into the soup.
- Add the heavy cream at the end. Serve with tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro etc. if desired.