I have never made Picnic Ham, it was actually quite by accident, I was planning on a completely different cut of ham but accidentally purchased this cut instead, but quite happy I got this one as it was one of the most moist tender cuts of ham I’ve ever purchased!
Crock-Pot Brown Sugar Picnic Ham
1 (5 Lb.) Cured Picnic Ham (Bone In)
3/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
2 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- Before starting this recipe make sure your bone in ham will fit your crock-pot!
- Spray Crock-Pot with Pam or similar.
- Pour the ¾ths cup of pineapple juice into bottom of crock-pot.
- Add the 1½ cup of Brown Sugar to the pineapple juice and mix carefully.
- With the fat side down place in your crock-pot.
- Score the ham slightly.
- Pour 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice carefully over the ham, just to moisten.
- Rub ½ cup brown sugar slowly into ham.
- Add a dozen cloves into ham.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- You may carefully baste one time in the middle of cooking time quickly.
- Remove cloves before eating.
Be sure to check the temperature before eating and if you pick a larger ham you may need to cook a bit longer. I used a 7 quart crock-pot for my picnic ham and it “barely” was tall enough. With it being a bone in, you don’t have much wiggle room!