Free up space in your oven this holiday season by making this recipe for Crock-Pot Sweet Potato Casserole! Featuring melty marshmallows on top!
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
One of my favorite ways to make the holiday season just a little bit simpler is to use my slow cooker whenever possible when cooking for the big holiday meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
In fact, I recently was a guest on the Little House Living podcast talking about Simplifying Your Holidays With Your Crock Pot. Head on over and listen if you are looking for some great tips!
Cooking this lovely and simple sweet potato casserole in your slow cooker takes some of the pressure off you in the timing of the holiday feast side dishes and playing the oven rotation game.
Instead of rushing to get the side dishes prepped and cooking in the oven and timed just right for everything to be ready in time for dinner you can cut up the sweet potatoes, toss them in the butter/sugar/spice mixture and set them aside to cook in the slow cooker for hours.
Then right before serving toss on some mini marshmallows and let them melt on top of the sweet potatoes for just a few minutes.
Smart Tip: Short On Counter Space?
If your kitchen is small or you are running out of counter space on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Grab your slow cooker and plug it in another room.
For instance, last Thanksgiving I cleaned everything off my desk counter in the home office and set up 5 different slow cookers to cook away out of the kitchen and out of my way. Because it was such an awesome idea, I plan on doing the same this year!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe:
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Vegetable Peeler
- Cutting Board
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Dry Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
Frequently Asked Questions
You can peel and cut the sweet potatoes up to 4 days ahead of time. Wash the sweet potatoes, peel them with a vegetable peeler, cut them into 1 inch chunks and place the chunks into a gallon sized zippered food storage bag or airtight container. Place the cut sweet potatoes in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This sweet potato casserole can be made up to three days ahead of time except for the marshmallow topping. To make ahead of time prepare the sweet potatoes and cook them in the slow cooker. Let the cooked sweet potatoes cool for about 30 minutes, then wrap the ceramic insert with foil or plastic wrap and pop into the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
On the day you are ready to serve the sweet potatoes, take the slow cooker insert out of the refrigerator and unwrap it. Place the insert into the base of the slow cooker and turn the slow cooker to the LOW heat setting (do not use the HIGH setting as the quick change in temperature can crack the slow cooker insert) and heat for 1 to 2 hours or until the potatoes are hot. Top with the miniature marshmallows and allow them to melt for 5 to 10 minutes.
If you prefer the marshmallows on top of your sweet potato casserole to be lightly browned and toasted you can pop the ceramic slow cooker insert (not the cooking base) under the broiler in your oven for 2 to 3 minutes until the marshmallows are toasted to your liking. Additionally, you could also use a small kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows.
Gluten Free | High Fiber | Low Cholesterol | Low Fat | Low Sodium | Vegetarian
More Thanksgiving Recipes!
Crock-Pot Sausage and Sage Stuffing
With just 5 ingredients this recipe for Slow Cooker Sausage and Sage Stuffing is super easy and is perfect for your Thanksgiving meal!
Crock-Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash, spices and just a hint of cream cheese combine in this easy, creamy and smooth recipe for Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup!
Crock-Pot Cheesy Potatoes + Video
With just 6 ingredients you have this fabulous crockpot side dish recipe! Your family and guests will LOVE these amazing Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes!
Crock-Pot Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes
The perfect side dish for your holiday table this year is this delicious and easy recipe for Slow Cooker Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes. Great for Thanksgiving!
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Crock-Pot Recipes
- Christmas Recipes
- Easter Recipes
- Fall Recipes
- Thanksgiving Recipes
- Winter Recipes
Crock-Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- 3 Pounds Sweet Potatoes (Peeled And Cut Into 1 Inch Chunks)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ¾ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Miniature Marshmallows
- Place sweet potato chunks a large mixing bowl.
- In a small microwave safe bowl melt the butter in the microwave in 10 second intervals into butter is melted.
- Add the brown sugar, water, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract and salt to the melted butter and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture over sweet potatoes in larger bowl and stir to coat.
- Add the sweet potato chunks to the bottom of a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker OR 6 quart or larger slow cooker and spread evenly.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove lid and sprinkle miniature marshmallows evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Recover slow cooker and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the marshmallows are just starting to melt a little bit.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply