This traditional recipe for Crock-Pot Beef Scotch Broth is a tasty rich meaty beef soup filled with beef stew meat, carrots, potatoes and pearl barley. This frugal recipe is simple yet tasty and a common dish found in Scotland that has been adapted to the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Beef Scotch Broth
This recipe is submitted to us by Julie Parrish. Julie says “I used to like this as a Campbell’s canned soup when I was a kid. Of course, once you’re older and you learn how to cook, everything taste better from fresh.”
To be honest I had never heard of Beef Scotch Broth before Julie sent me this recipe. Either homemade or a canned version. But once I saw the recipe she sent me and I tried it out myself I was in LOVE!
Scotch broth is a traditional Scottish soup made with either lamb, mutton or beef, barley, and root vegetables such as potatoes and carrots.
This recipe uses beef because it is more widely available in the U.S. than lamb or mutton is. But feel free to use either of those meats if you have access to them.
I have now made this soup a few times with beef, lamb and even venison because here in Wyoming those are pretty common meats. Our family buys a lamb each year from friends who’s kids raise them for 4H projects. And while we are not a hunting family we have friends who often gift us with cuts of venison from time to time.
I hope you give this delicious recipe a try! It is a great hearty and filling soup that is perfect for any chilly Autumn or Winter day!
- 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart Or 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Electric Kettle (Or You Can Just Boil Water In A Pot On The Stove)
- Can Opener
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Dry Measuring Cups And Measuring Spoons
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
More Amazing Soups To Make In Your Slow Cooker!
- Crock-Pot Mexican Beef & Veggie Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Crock-Pot Sausage Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup + Video
- Crock-Pot Cheese, Beer & Bratwurst Soup + Video
Crock-Pot Beef Scotch Broth Recipe
- 1 Pound Beef Stew Meat (Diced Very Small (Can Also Use Lamb, Mutton Or Venison))
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Peeled And Minced)
- 2 Large Potatoes (Peeled And Diced)
- 4 Medium Carrots (Peeled And Diced)
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced)
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- 70 Ounces Beef Broth
- ¾ Teaspoon White Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Parsley Flakes
- ½ Teaspoon Celery Seed
- Turn turn a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker on HIGH, and add a 1/2 inch of boiling water in the crock.
- Dice the potatoes into fine cubes and put in the boiling water first. The boiling water will pre-heat the crock, and it will speed up the potatoes cooking by about an hour.
- Add the carrots, onion, and pearl barley to the crock and stir.
- Add in the beef broth and dry spices.
- In a large skillet, sauté the beef and the minced garlic together. When the beef is cooked, add it to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Moira Jackson says
You do not put allspice in Scotch Broth! Stock,dried peas,barley,carrots and onions,salt and pepper. Add meat of any kind after making if you want or not . That’s it. From a Scot. Enjoy