Nothing tastes better in the autumn than homemade Crock-Pot Apple Butter! Just 4 ingredients and you have tasty apple butter for your morning toast.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter
With just 4 ingredients – fresh apples, apple cider (or apple juice), cinnamon and clove, this classic apple butter recipe is just pure perfection.
Cooking the apple butter in the slow cooker allows the apples to get super soft and the spices to infuse the apple butter with all the warm and cozy flavors of fall.
Beware however, your house is going to smell AMAZING while this slow cooker apple butter is cooking away. The smell is better than any candle or wax warmer you could burn. Better than any air freshener too.
How to store cooked apple butter:
- Put it up in jars by canning it using the water bath method. You will want to process half-pint or pint jars for 10 minutes in a water bath canner (adjusting for altitude as needed). Canned apple butter will store in jars on your pantry shelf for several years and make great gifts too.
- Freeze in resealable freezer containers. I like to store in the small sized Ziploc Twist N Lock storage containers so that I don’t have larger containers sitting in the fridge waiting to be eaten. Frozen apple butter will store for up to 2 years.
- Refrigerate in any air-tight container. Refrigerated apple butter will keep in the cool fridge for up to 2 months.
How to eat apple butter:
- Spread on your morning toast, bagel or English muffin.
- Spread on pancakes, waffles or French toast.
- Spoon over yogurt or ice cream.
- Make a peanut butter and apple butter sandwich.
- And if you have a lot of apple butter you can even spread it on fruit leather sheets and pop it into your food dehydrator and make apple butter fruit leather. YUM!
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Vegetable Peeler
- Cutting Board
- Immersion Blender
- Pint Sized Canning Jars With Rings And Lids
- Water Bath Canner
Gluten Free | High Fiber | Low Calorie | Low Carb | Low Cholesterol | Low Fat | Low Sodium | Low Sugar | Vegan | Vegetarian
This recipe for Crock-Pot Apple Butter is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Our most popular slow cooker apple recipes:
- Crock-Pot Apple Pie Moonshine + Video
- Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
- Crock-Pot Baked Apples
- Slow Cooker Apple Pie for Breakfast
- Crock-Pot Applesauce Chicken
Crock-Pot Apple Butter Recipe
- 3 Pounds Apples (Peeled And Diced. see our guide on picking which kinds of apples to use for apple butter)
- 1 Cup Apple Cider (Or Apple Juice)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Place apples and apple cider in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook apples on LOW for 5 hours until apples are starting to “smoosh” just when you stir them.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the apples right in the slow cooker until very smooth and there are no lumps. You want the apple butter to be super smooth.
- Add cinnamon and cloves to the pureed apples and stir to mix the spices in.
- Recover and continue to cook on LOW for 2 to 3 more additional hours with the lid propped open slightly with a wooden spoon to allow additional moisture to evaporate. The apple butter is done with it coats the back of a spoon.
- Can apple butter in sterilized jars using the water bath method for 10 minutes OR freeze or refrigerate.
Betty Emery says
Can I pressure can this in jars and how much pressure? 5lbs for 10 min? long enough?
Lady Sarah says
Betty; Apple Butter can be hot water bathed for 10 minutes.
You can Pressure can it for 5 minutes at 5 pounds but it may alter the texture. YMMV (Your Mileage May Very).
I would hot water bath can if you can!