Yummy Crock-Pot 15 Bean and Ham Soup with tomatoes, garlic, and onion. This hearty recipe hits the spot and was inspired to use up some leftover ham.
Slow Cooker 15 Bean and Ham Soup
The day before I made this super yummy recipe for Crock-Pot 15 Bean and Ham Soup I had cooked up a picnic ham in the crock-pot. Once we were done with the ham we were left with a huge ham bone with some yummy attached ham that can be sort of hard to get off. Instead of trying to pry that stubborn ham off the bone I decided to use it in a delicious soup.
I scrounged around in my pantry and found a package of 15 bean soup hiding behind a box of cereal or something. It was just begging me to turn it into some amazing soup.
15 bean soup is really just a mixture of beans. Usually containing the following beans: Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split, Kidney, Cranberry, Small White, Pink, Small Red, Yellow Split, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean. Some packages come with a seasoning packet while some are just the beans. You can usually find the bean mix in the section of your local grocery store where they sell other dried beans. Or, you can purchase some online at stores such as Amazon – HERE.
Equipment Needed To Make Crock-Pot 15 Bean and Ham Soup
Frequently Asked Questions
While ham is the traditional meat used in 15 bean soup that gives it it’s rich flavor you can use other smoked meats such as kielbasa sausage or even smoked turkey leg.
When you make this recipe for 15 bean soup in your slow cooker you do not need to soak the beans first. The long cooking time of 10 to 12 hours gives the beans plenty of time to soften up on their own.
Yes! This recipe for 15 bean soup is not only a frugal recipe but it is also pretty healthy too. Packed with fiber (12 grams) it is good for your digestion. And there are only 257 calories and 3 grams of fat per serving too making this a healthy (and Weight Watchers friendly) soup that you can enjoy without any guilt.
This recipe for Crock-Pot 15 Bean Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More fantastic Crock-Pot soup recipes to try!
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Fall Recipes
- Pork Crock-Pot Recipes
- Soups, Stews and Chili Recipes
- Winter Recipes
Crock-Pot 15 Bean and Ham Soup Recipe
- 20 Ounces 15 Bean Soup Mix (1 package (discard the seasoning packet if yours comes with one))
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled and diced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 29 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes (Undrained)
- 8 Ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1 Whole Ham Bone (With some meat still attached)
- 2 Quarts Water
- Wash and sort the beans and place in a 6 – 7 quart slow cooker.
- Add onions, garlic, salt, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Place ham bone into slow cooker and add water. If you don’t have enough room for all of the water, that is okay, you can add it later if you need to.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or until the beans are tender.
- An hour before you are ready to serve, carefully pull out the ham and bone with tongs. The meat should fall off the bone, but if it does not feel free to remove the meat and cut it up. Add the meat back into your slow cooker with the beans and stir.