This month I decided to take part in the Crazy Cooking Challenge where bloggers select a themed recipe from another blog, try it and share it with you and each other! This month’s theme was Spaghetti! Now I love pasta and red sauce but I have always just made my own with no real “recipe” on the stove-top. This is actually my first pasta sauce in a crock-pot so I was happy to find one prepared that way so I didn’t have to think too much. I found a great recipe from Cravings of a Lunatic that I just had to try. The name alone, Lunatic’s Getting Sauced Spaghetti Sauce intrigued me. I made a few tweaks to it but the results were still divine. I don’t think my family knew what hit them!
Crock-Pot Getting Sauced Spaghetti Sauce – Crazy Cooking Challenge
2 28 Ounce Cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
1 – 1 1/2 Pounds Lean Ground Beef
1 Pound Hot Italian Sausage Links
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Oregano
2 Tablespoons Basil
2 Tablespoons Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Garlic Powder
3 to 4 Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced or Pressed*
2 6 Ounce Cans Tomato Paste
4 Bay Leaves
- Brown ground beef and sausage separately on top of stove.
- Drain grease.
- Cut sausage into 1 ” pieces.
- Place meat at bottom of crock-pot.
- Pour canned tomatoes over. You may blend them first so they are less chunky but I left them as is.
- Add sugar and stir.
- Add spices. You can vary the spices listed as desired.
- Add fresh garlic.
- Add beef stock and stir well.
- Cook on low for 2 hours.
- Add one can of tomato paste and stir.
- Cook on low for another 2-3 hours, making sure to keep an eye on the sauce so it doesn’t stick to sides.
- Add the second can of tomato paste right before sauce is done.
- Stir well.
- In last half an hour prepare spaghetti noodles (or other pasta) on top of the stove.
- Remove bay leaves from sauce before serving.
- Serve sauce over noodles and enjoy!
*I don’t own a garlic press (gasp!) so I minced my garlic. The original recipe called for pressing it.
You should check the sauce about every hour in the last 2 hours of cooking.
Now that I have your attention, check out the rest of the great recipes for this month’s challenge!
If you enjoyed this post please share it!