Use up fresh or canned tomatoes with this delicious & flavorful Crock-Pot Sweet Tomato Butter. Serve with crackers or bread!
Slow Cooker Sweet Tomato Butter
Tomatoes are technically a fruit (I mean they have seeds) so I got to thinking that I should make a sweet tomato butter. Just like any other fruit butter like apple butter or blueberry butter you can easily make this in your slow cooker.
For this tomato butter I prefer to use a slow cooker that has a WARM feature so that you can cook it down and let it thicken and evaporate without the butter burning. But of course you can use a slow cooker and cook this on the LOW setting too. You just have to “babysit” it a little bit more.
The flavor of this fruit butter is sweet yet tart and full of tomato flavor. You can eat it on your morning toast just like any fruit butter but it is also REALLY good on a bagel with cream cheese. My husband even spread it on some garlic bread and let me have a taste…YUM!
I decided to can this tomato butter up in a single 16 ounce canning jar for a small batch canning session. But you could also put it up in smaller 4 ounce canning jars. Or if canning is not your thing, just pop the tomato butter in a food safe storage container and stash it away in your fridge or freezer.
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Sweet Tomato Butter Recipe:
- 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart, 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Blender (Or Food Mill Or Immersion Blender)
- Wooden Spoon
- Water Bath Canner Or Food Storage Containers
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe makes about 16 ounces of finished tomato butter with a serving size of 1 tablespoon, thus, there are about 32 servings per batch.
You do not need to remove the tomato seeds from the fresh tomatoes. However you can if you wish to. After pureeing the tomatoes simply press the puree through a fine mesh strainer and discard the seeds.
Coring tomatoes is not hard. But here is a video to show you how.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Sweet Tomato Butter is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Awesome Fruit Butter Slow Cooker Recipes!
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Canning Recipes
- Summer Recipes
Crock-Pot Sweet Tomato Butter Recipe
- Wash, core and cut each tomato into quarters.
- Place prepared tomatoes in a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours or until tomatoes are tender.
- Carefully remove tomatoes from slow cooker and place in the jar of a blender (or you can use a food mill or an immersion blender) and puree the tomatoes until smooth.
- Return tomato puree to the slow cooker and add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and stir to combine.
- Recover slow cooker and prop the lid open slightly with the handle of a wooden spoon or other heatproof item to allow moisture to escape. Cook on the WARM setting for 8 to 12 hours or until the tomato butter is cooked down and has thickened enough to stay slightly mounded on a spoon. (*See note)
- Taste tomato butter and add more sugar to your liking if it is too tart.
- Process tomato butter in canning jars (**See Note) using the hot water bath canning method OR store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks OR freezer for up to 6 months.