This is a super simple soup to toss together. Perfect for starting in the morning, cooking for the day and then finishing it off right before serving with a little cheese and cream.
Perfect for cold day as it will warm you right up. My husband loves these thick and hearty soups and said “yep, this is a keeper”.
I think he is a keeper for being willing to try some of my crazy recipes. This one was totally made up based on ingredients I had on hand. Potatoes are a given, we always have those on hand, and when Kielbasa goes on sale for $1.50-$2.00 a package I buy a few and toss them in the freezer for quick meals. Everything else was just stuff I had.
I hope you enjoy!
Crock-Pot Potato & Kielbasa Chowder
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
1 (32 Oz.) Carton Chicken Broth
6 -8 Medium Potatoes, Peeled & Diced
2 Cups Frozen Corn
1 (16 Oz.) Fully Cooked Kielbasa, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (I used Hillshire Farms brand)
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
8 Oz. Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- In a 6 quart crock-pot add all of the ingredients except the cream and cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 5-6 hours or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove the lid and fish out the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and cream to the soup and stir to combine and melt the cheese.
- Serve with a nice fresh salad and some crunchy bread to sop up the soup juices and enjoy!
To lower the calories you could easily substitute half & half for the cream, use low-fat or fat free cheese and a turkey kielbasa.
If you enjoyed this post please share it!