First time making Meat Loaf in the Crock-Pot and I can honestly say I will never make it another way. It stays so moist, absolutely the best way to make it (in my humble opinion). My family loved it!
2lbs of Extra Lean Ground Beef (Must be 93% or better)
3/4th Cup Milk
2/3 Cups Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/4th Cup of Shredded Onion
1 Tablespoon of Garlic (I use refrigerated Pre-Minced Squeeze Garlic)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
3/4th Cup Italian Cheese (optional)
Slow Cooker Liner if possible
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Here is my first trick.
- I take a big bowl and cover it with press and seal, this makes clean up so much easier.
- I put in eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, pepper, garlic and cheese.
- I then put the Hamburger.
- My next trick since I’m not fond of playing with raw hamburger is I put on vinyl gloves (you can use latex too) and mix everything up really well, until all has become moist with the eggs and the bread crumbs.
- If you have a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liner, I strongly suggest you use one, as this will make it so easy to remove the meatloaf later.
- Spray sides lightly with pam or similar.
- Place into your crock-pot, I would suggest an oblong one if you have one, at least 5 quart or larger.
- Cook on low for 5 hours, check with a meat thermometer, if it reads 160 degrees F. it is done cooking and ready for the topping, if not cook for another hour and check temperature again.
- Wisk topping (Ketchup, Brown Sugar, Mustard and Worcestershire Sauce), in a small bowl and spoon on top of the meat loaf.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Then turn off and let stand for another 15 minutes before cutting.
- To remove carefully pull out liner and place on a plate.
- Carefully pull away liner from meat loaf, you will have a little bit of grease, but not too much as long as you used 93% extra lean ground beef.
- Put two spatula’s under the meat loaf to lift it away from the liner and place on another plate.