This recipe for Crock-Pot Shredded Potato Soup tastes just like mom used to make! Shredded potatoes are prefect in this cheesy soup! Using fat-free milk and low fat American cheese makes this hearty soup Weight Watchers Friendly!
Slow Cooker Shredded Potato Soup
When making this recipe for Slow Cooker Shredded Potato Soup I was very thankful to have another adult around as I ended up having to rinse out all the milk that I accidentally added way too soon. Nothing like throwing an ingredient in and going…oops..how do I get that back out?
Luckily it was easy to fish out what couldn’t get rinsed off, and rinse off the rest. Then start over again. We had guests over that evening and they said it tasted just like their mom’s made, and my kids enjoyed it as well.
The shredded potatoes make for a smoother soup than if you used cubed potatoes like you would find in other potato soup recipes. You still get some nice potato texture but they are not quite chunks of potatoes. Corn is a nice addition too that adds another flavor profile as well as more texture. You could also add some cooked and diced bacon at the end of the cooking time when you add the milk and Velveeta. That would add a nice smoky flavor. And let’s face it, bacon is always a good thing!
High Fiber | Low Cholesterol | Low Fat | Low Sugar
This recipe for Crock-Pot Shredded Potato Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Check out these fantastic potato soup recipes too!
- Crock-Pot Potato Soup
- Crock-Pot Potato & Kielbasa Chowder
- Crock-Pot Gouda Potato Soup
- Crock-Pot Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Crock-Pot Corn and Potato Soup
Crock-Pot Shredded Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 Cups Water
- 2 Whole Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 2 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash Herb And Garlic Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 8 Medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion
- 2 Cups Milk
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 15.25 Ounces Canned Corn (Drained)
- ½ Pound American Cheese (Such As Velveeta Brand, Cut Into 1/2 Inch Cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker add the water, bouillon, Mrs. Dash and salt.
- Peel and finely mince the onion, adding it to the slow cooker.
- Peel and shred the potatoes and place the shredded potatoes in a colander. Rinse the potatoes under cool water to remove excess starch. Press potatoes in colander after rinsing to get rid of extra water. Add rinsed and drained potatoes to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours cooking, mix the milk and flour together in a bowl until there are no lumps, add this to the slow cooker.
- Add the corn and cubed American cheese and stir to combine.
- Recover slow cooker and continue cooking on HIGH for 1 additional hour. Stir well to make sure American cheese has fully melted.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with paprika.
rene hallal-gonen says
this recipe calls for using the liquid, in which you cooked RAW chicken–to make the sauce…Is it now safe to use the boiling liquid for sauces?
Lady Katie says
that liquid is just broth. It is okay to use.
Lady Sarah says
This recipe (shredded potato soup) has no chicken in it…
oh my ~~ ???