Whip up this popular snack mix in your slow cooker with this easy to make Crock-Pot Chex Mix recipe! Perfect for gift giving at the holidays or snacking anytime!
Crock-Pot Chex Mix
One of my families favorite snacks is a good old fashioned Chex Mix party mix. We make is an everyday snack, packaging it up in snack sized Ziplock baggies so that the kids can take it to lunch.
We make it at the holidays and give away containers to friends and family who stop by.
We just make it to munch on on the weekend while we watch movies together as a family.
I also like to set out bowls for guests to snack away on during parties. This Chex Mix is always a huge hit at our annual Super Bowl party!
Classically Chex Mix is baked in the oven. And there is nothing wrong with that! Sometimes I do that too.
3 Reasons To Make Chex Mix In Your Slow Cooker Instead Of Your Oven:
- No need to heat up the oven – On a hot muggy summer day the last thing you want to do is turn the oven on!
- Less likely to burn – Because the slow cooker runs at a little lower heat you are less likely to forget that you are cooking your snack mix and burn it. Better for busy or easily distracted folks.
- Portable – Your slow cooker is portable and can be used anywhere you have a source of electricity to run it. I have made Chex Mix while camping in the RV and I had had the kids make it as a classroom project (every kid brought a little something to add to the mix…it was interesting!).
Chex Mix is also so versatile. You can totally mix it up by adding your own favorite ingredients. Use different cereals (Cheerios, Kix, Life, etc.), use different nuts (or omit them if you are allergic to nuts), add different snack items (Goldfish crackers, Cheez-It crackers, Oyster crackers, pretzel squares or sticks, Wheat Thins). And if you want to have a sweet-salty combination you can add some candy or dried fruit after it is cooked and cooled. M&M’s, raisins, chocolate chips, etc all work great!
Use your imagination and most of all…have fun making your Chex Mix!
Ingredients Needed For Slow Cooker Chex Mix:
- Rice Chex Cereal
- Corn Chex Cereal
- Wheat Chex Cereal
- Kix Cereal
- Lightly Salted Roasted Cashews
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoned Salt
- Garlic Powder
How To Make Chex Mix In Your Crock-Pot:
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker add your dry cereals, pretzels and nuts.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and garlic powder and mix to combine.
- Pour this mixture over the cereal mixture in the slow cooker and stir gently with a to coat all of the cereal, pretzels and nuts in the melted butter mixture.
- Turn your slow cooker to the HIGH heat setting and leave the lid off the slow cooker and cook your snack mix for 90 minutes total. Give the Chex Mix a stir every 15 minutes to prevent burning. (This is a good step for older kids if they are helping in the kitchen.)
- After 90 minutes turn the slow cooker to the LOW heat setting and continue cooking with the lid off for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes until the cereal is crispy. This is done more by tasting it and seeing if it is crispy. It also starts to smell slightly toasted when it is perfect.
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper and carefully pour the Chex Mix onto the baking sheet and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, store the snack mix in air tight food storage container or zippered bags for up to 2 weeks (if it will last that long!)
More Slow Cooker Snacks!
|Appetizer Crock-Pot Recipes||Game Day Slow Cooker Recipes|
|American Slow Cooker Recipes||6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Chex Cereal Crock-Pot Recipes||Kid Friendly Slow Cooker Recipes|
Products Used In This Slow Cooker Chex Mix Recipe: