Whip up this popular snack mix in your slow cooker with this easy to make Crock-Pot Chex Mix recipe! Perfect for gift giving at the holidays or snacking anytime!
Slow Cooker Chex Mix
One of my families favorite snacks is a good old fashioned Chex Mix party mix. We make is an everyday snack, packaging it up in snack sized Ziplock baggies so that the kids can take it to lunch.
We make it at the holidays and give away containers to friends and family who stop by.
We just make it to munch on on the weekend while we watch movies together as a family.
I also like to set out bowls for guests to snack away on during parties. This Chex Mix is always a huge hit at our annual Super Bowl party!
Classically Chex Mix is baked in the oven. And there is nothing wrong with that! Sometimes I do that too.
3 Reasons To Make Chex Mix In Your Slow Cooker Instead Of Your Oven:
- No need to heat up the oven – On a hot muggy summer day the last thing you want to do is turn the oven on!
- Less likely to burn – Because the slow cooker runs at a little lower heat you are less likely to forget that you are cooking your snack mix and burn it. Better for busy or easily distracted folks.
- Portable – Your slow cooker is portable and can be used anywhere you have a source of electricity to run it. I have made Chex Mix while camping in the RV and I had had the kids make it as a classroom project (every kid brought a little something to add to the mix…it was interesting!).
Chex Mix is also so versatile. You can totally mix it up by adding your own favorite ingredients. Use different cereals (Cheerios, Kix, Life, etc.), use different nuts (or omit them if you are allergic to nuts), add different snack items (Goldfish crackers, Cheez-It crackers, Oyster crackers, pretzel squares or sticks, Wheat Thins). And if you want to have a sweet-salty combination you can add some candy or dried fruit after it is cooked and cooled. M&M’s, raisins, chocolate chips, etc all work great!
Use your imagination and most of all…have fun making your Chex Mix!
More Slow Cooker Snacks!
Crock-Pot Chex Mix Recipe
- In a 6 quart or larger add all of the dry cereal, pretzels and nuts.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine together the remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over cereal in slow cooker and mix well using a rubber spatula.
- Cook on HIGH heat UNCOVERED for 90 minutes, stirring the mixture every 15 minutes to prevent the cereal from burning on the bottom.
- After 90 minutes, turn slow cooker to LOW and continue cooking for an additional 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes until the Chex Mix is crispy.
- Spread Chex Mix on a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Store finished Chex Mix in airtight food storage containers for up to 2 weeks.