Use a leftover ham bone or ham hock to flavor up these sweet and savory Crock-Pot Sweet Ranch Style Beans. This recipe feeds a crowd making it perfect for potlucks or summer barbecue cookouts! Beans, brown sugar, molasses and wonderful spices make this slow cooker side dish a winner for sure!
Slow Cooker Sweet Ranch Style Beans
Sunday night we had a delicious Honey Baked Ham dinner, and as I was cutting the cooked ham off the ham bone to put away for leftovers I decided I should do a new slow cooker recipe to put the ham bone to good use.
After going through my pantry to see what I had on hand I ended up with several cans of Ranch Style Beans, Pork and Beans and single can of chili beans. That sounded like a great base for a yummy Sweet Ranch Style Beans recipe to me!
I used 5 cans of the basic Ranch Style Beans; I drained the sauce from two of the cans as we’re trying to make a thick baked bean type dish, not bean soup. They also sell Ranch Style Beans that have Jalapenos in them. If you want a spicier version, you can use those instead. Or do half and half.
Next I did 4 cans of pork and beans, draining off the excess liquid with the pork and beans.
Last I used one can of chili beans. I kept all of this sauce, as it has some nice spice to it.
Once you add all of that to the crock, the ingredients to flavor the beans come in.
With this recipe I added numerous spices, mustard, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, maple syrup and onion to the canned beans. Mixed it all well up with a spoon and added the ham bone.
I left some nice chunks of ham on the bone because they would be a great addition to the beans once they were done cooking. Placed the ham bone in the middle and squished it down, and covered and cooked for 8 hours on LOW.
This is a fairly easy recipe to put together. The only challenging part was handling the ham bone after it was cooked to cut the ham off of it and add that ham back into to the beans.
It turned out perfectly and we enjoyed eating it for days. I plan on making this again once summer barbecue season hits as I know it will be the perfect dish to bring or serve and will go great with anything cooked on the grill…from steaks to hot dogs and everything in between!
Crock-Pot Sweet Ranch Style Beans Recipe
- 75 ounces Canned Ranch Style Beans ((Five 15 oz. cans) – drain 2 cans)
- 60 ounces Canned Pork And Beans ((Four 15 oz. cans) – drained)
- 15 ounces Canned Chili Beans (undrained)
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (diced)
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Honey Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup Real Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Ground Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Prepared Yellow Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Molasses
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Ham Bone (or ham hock with plenty of ham meat on it)
- Add all ingredients except for the ham bone or ham hock to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Place the ham bone or ham hock into the middle of the bean mixture and carefully push it down into the beans.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
- When it is done, carefully remove the ham bone and if you wish, cut off the ham bits that you can and add those back into the beans. Discard the ham bone. Mix well. Taste test for any additional salt, pepper or brown sugar if necessary.
Linked up at: Happiness Is Homemade