Warm up to this healthy Mexican inspired dish with recipe for Crock-Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup. So easy, fresh and satisfying! Only 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving!
Slow Cooker Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
This recipe was originally posted in October of 2012 and it came as part of a giveaway about a great cookbook called American Heart Association Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook: 200 Low-Fuss, Good-for-You Recipes. Random House, who is the publisher of this great cookbook offered me a copy of the cookbook, permission to cook and share a recipe from the book and offered one lucky Crock-Pot Ladies reader a chance to win a copy of their very own.
The giveaway is now long over and I thought I would revisit this recipe and update the photos, because basically I stunk at food photography in 2012. 😯 And while I am not any sort of professional food photographer these days either I think I can do better. At least make them decent now and not look so dark and dank like the original photographs did.
And I know just how important decent photos when looking for new recipe to try.
And this recipe otherwise is just the same as when I posted it back in the day. I am just adding in stuff like nutritional information and republishing it because it really is a nice and fresh healthy recipe that I know you will love!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 cups Frozen Corn
- 2 cups Chicken Broth (low sodium, store bought or homemade)
- 14.5 ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes (no salt added, with juices)
- ¼ cup Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 3 whole Corn Tortillas (two of them cut into 1/4 inch wide strips and one torn into pieces )
- 2 – 4 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro (snipped or minced)
- ¼ cup Fresh Avocado (diced small)
- ¼ whole Red Bell Pepper (cut into matchstick-size strips)
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, stir together the chicken, corn, broth, tomatoes with liquid, onion, sugar, chili powder, garlic and salt.
- Cook, covered, on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the tortilla stips in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp.
- Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack.
- Let the strips stand for about 15 minutes, or until cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container and set aside.
- When the soup is ready, transfer 1 cup to a food processor or blender.
- Stir in the tortilla pieced (not the strips you baked but the 1 tortilla that was just torn into pieces).
- Let the mixture stand for 1 minute so the tortilla pieces soften.
- Process until smooth.
- Stir the mixture into the soup.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into bowls.
- Sprinkle with the avocado, bell pepper and reserved baked tortilla strips.