Saffron threads add flavor and great color to this adapted Amish recipe for Crock-Pot Amish Chicken & Corn Soup. This warm and hearty soup is full of great flavors and really hits the spot on a cold day!
Slow Cooker Amish Chicken & Corn Soup
Crock-Pot Amish Chicken & Corn Soup is an adapted Amish Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe with a twist of of using saffron threads to get a beautiful dark yellow color and amazing flavor to your soup.
I have honestly never used saffron until this recipe, never even looked at it at the spice aisle before. I didn’t realize how expensive Saffron was. I just about changed my mind until I was at a local Kroger store and saw it on clearance. SCORE!
I took the precious saffron home, threatened my family not to touch it and worked on gathering what I needed to make my soup.
Saffron is interesting in that you place it in the soup, much like a bay leaf and then you pull it out before eating, but with saffron you need a sieve of some sort to help get it back out. I learned that small spices like parsley are better left to wait until the Saffron is pulled back out.
The soup turned out really well and my family snarfed it down like they do with all my soup recipes and now I need to find another reason to use saffron.
If you are unable to find saffron or just can’t afford it, I would just skip it and use a couple of bay leaves in it’s place. You won’t get the rich yellow color but still there is still a great great taste!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Amish Chicken & Corn Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
Crock-Pot Amish Chicken & Corn Soup Recipe
- 2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 12 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (Store Bought Or Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced)
- ¾ Cup Diced Carrots
- 1 Cup Finely Diced Celery
- ½ Teaspoon Saffron Threads
- ¾ Cup Corn Kernels (Frozen, Canned Or Fresh)
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 12 Ounces Egg Noodles
- Kosher Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper (To Taste)
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker add the chicken broth, chicken, onions, carrots, celery and saffron threads.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours on LOW.
- Remove the chicken pieces out of the soup and place on a plate to allow them to cool a little bit.
- Using a fine meshed sieve carefully scoop out the saffron threads that are floating on top of the soup and discard.
- Add the corn kernels and parsley to the broth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred or chop up the cooked chicken and add it back into your soup.
- Cook your noodles on the stove-top according to the directions on the package until they are just al dente. Add the cooked noodles to the soup, re-taste and adjust the salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and enjoy!