This recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken & Rice Soup is a warm meal that will hit the spot for those cold fall or winter days!
Slow Cooker Chicken & Rice Soup
With the weather getting chilly there is nothing more that I love than a slow cooker of soup simmering away on the counter just waiting to be ladled into bowls for dinner.
And when you are coming down with a cold there is just something so comforting about a bowl of chicken soup.
While chicken noodle soup is a classic go to, I don’t always have noodles on hand but I almost always have rice in my pantry.
This recipe for chicken and rice soup is rather easy to put together and the herbs and seasonings make for such a flavorful soup. My secret to taking the soup up a notch though is to add some freshly squeezed lemon juice right before serving.
The lemon compliments the soup and just brightens up the flavor of the soup.
To serve for dinner I like to toss together a simple side salad and set out some bread or breadsticks for dipping into the broth and sopping up the last drops.
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Dry Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Citrus Juicer
Frequently Asked Questions
You can easily substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken And Rice Soup. The cooking time will be the same but the calorie and fat content will be higher. But feel free to use either thighs or breasts or even a combination of the two types of light and dark meat chicken.
Absolutely! If you want to use brown or wild rice instead of white rice just add the rice at the very beginning of the cooking time when you add the chicken, broth, veggies and herbs and spices.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken & Rice Soup is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipe
More Fantastic Crockpot Soups!
Crock-Pot Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 ½ Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 3 Medium Carrots (Peeled, Halved And Sliced)
- 3 Stalks Celery (Sliced)
- 8 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (Store Bought Or Homemade)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Whole Bay Leaf
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 Cup Dry White Rice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Place the chicken breasts, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, garlic, thyme, dried parsley, salt, pepper, bay leaf, rosemary and sage in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and add the rice. Recover and cook for one additional hour on HIGH heat.
- Remove the lid once more and remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred the meat with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and fresh parsley and serve and enjoy!