This tasty and delicious recipe Crock-Pot Chicken and Black Beans is a simple slow cooker dump recipe where you just toss everything in the slow cooker and let it cook away for several hours. Serve in flour tortillas as a burrito filling or just top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, cheese, avocado, etc. for a filling burrito bowl!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Beans
This recipe was originally sent to us by our friend Penny W. who has a blog over at Slightly Squirrelly. This a nice basic recipe that makes a great filling for soft tacos or burritos or a topping over chips for some amazing nachos.
If your enjoy a little spice to your meals you can adjust the ingredients to add a little heat. Depending on how spicy you like your food you can add some fresh or canned diced jalapeño peppers or just add some ground chili powder for a little extra heat.
But, since I was making this for my family and my kid does not like spicy food I just keep the seasoning mild with some taco seasoning. Store bought taco seasoning is OK, but if you have the time to make your own homemade taco seasoning that is going to work fantastic in this recipe as it is low sodium and just overall healthier for you.
This recipe is easily adapted to a slow cooker freezer meal as well. Just dump all the ingredients into a freezer bag, label and toss in the freezer. To cook just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and follow the cooking instructions in the recipe. Easy!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use frozen chicken in this recipe for Chicken and Black Beans cooked in your slow cooker. You may need to cook the recipe for a little bit longer to allow the chicken to thaw and then cook in the Crock-Pot. We suggest adding an extra 30 minutes to 1 hour to the cooking time.
Yes, you can easily substitute the boneless skinless chicken breasts in this recipe with the same amount of boneless skinless chicken thighs without otherwise needing to adjust the recipe.
This recipe has not been tested using precooked and shredded chicken. Thus we cannot recommend it. It may work but the chicken may also turn out dry and overcooked.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Chicken and Black Beans is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Chicken Crock-Pot Recipes:
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Chicken Crock-Pot Recipes
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Entrée Recipes
- Freezer Meal Recipes
Crock-Pot Chicken and Black Beans Recipe
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and place in the bottom of a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir slightly to combine.20 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles –30 Ounces Canned Black Beans –15 Ounces Canned Corn –1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and place on a plate. Shred meat with two forks.
- Add shredded chicken back into slow cooker and stir to combine with the other ingredients.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and fixings in a tortilla for burritos or soft tacos or in taco shells, as a taco bowl or even a topping on nachos!
- Place all ingredients into a 1 gallon size zippered freezer bag OR FoodSaver bag.
- Place bag on flat surface and seal bag closed while pressing out as much excess air as possible OR use your FoodSaver sealing system to vacuum seal the bag closed.
- Label bag with date prepared, name of recipe, ingredients and cooking instructions.
- Lay bag flat in freezer and allow to freeze for several hours. At that point you can stand the bags upright in your freezer if desired.
- Remove freezer meal bag from freezer and place either in refrigerator overnight OR in a clean kitchen sink filled with cool water for several hours just until the freezer meal is partially thawed enough to dump the contents of the bag into the slow cooker.
- Cook according to the recipe directions adding 1 additional hour cooking time (in this case 7 – 9 hours on LOW or 5 hours on HIGH from the partially thawed state).