Whip up a batch of Crock-Pot Basic Beans and use them in any dish you want. This recipe is a building block recipe and you can freeze the cooked beans for other meals.
Slow Cooker Basic Beans
Ahhh beans, the magical fruit. The more you eat them, the more you….well you know the rest right?
Cooking your own dried beans is the epitome of frugality and using your slow cooker make the process super duper simple.
There is no need to pre-soak your beans (unless you are cooking kidney beans because they have a toxin in them that requires them to be soaked before cooking.)
Just sort your beans, cover them in water, add some garlic, salt and pepper and let them cook for 8 to 10 hours until tender.
Then, use them in any recipe that calls for canned beans!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Basic Beans Recipe:
- 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart, 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
Frequently Asked Questions
Some people have heard a rumor that adding salt to the beans while cooking them make the cooking time longer. However, according to this article from Serious Eats this is not true. In fact, adding salt provides much needed flavor to the beans.
If you want to add some extra flavor to your beans adding in some salted smoked meat such as leftover ham, cooked bacon or even diced smoked turkey leg is a great way to do that. Go ahead and add 1 or 2 cups of diced smoked meat to your beans. That is a great way to use up leftover meat and make your meal stretch just a little bit further.
You can cook ANY type of dried beans in your slow cooker:
– Black Beans
– Black-Eyed Peas
– Black Turtle Beans
– Butter Beans
– Cannellini Beans
– Cranberry Beans
– Garbanzo Beans (aka Chickpeas)
– Great Northern Beans
– Kidney Beans
– Navy Beans
– Pinto Beans
– Red Beans
– White Beans
This recipe for Crock-Pot Basic Beans is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Yummy Crockpot Beans Recipes!
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Side Dish Recipes
Crock-Pot Basic Beans Recipe
- Rinse and sort beans, discarding any broken beans and stones.
- Add beans, garlic, salt and pepper to a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add enough water to the slow cooker to cover the beans by about 3 inches.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or until the beans are fully cooked and tender.
- Use as you would canned beans in any recipe. Freeze extras in freezer containers for up to 6 months with cooking liquid.