This recipe was made as part of the Improv Challenge hosted at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker where bloggers are challenged to create a recipe using two random ingredients each month. This month’s ingredients were carrots and ginger. This carrot cake fits the bill, the ginger is a nice touch to a carrot cake I think, not too much but enough to tell it is in there. I choose a carrot cake because…well because cake cooked in a crock-pot is a little bit different!
Crock-Pot Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
This a moist and flavorful carrot cake with a nice touch of ginger. The ginger is not overpowering and compliments the moist cake nicely.
2/3 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Ginger Root
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 (8 Oz.) Can Crushed Pineapple With Juice
1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
1 Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts (optional)
1 Cup Finely Grated Carrot
Cream Cheese Frosting
4 Oz. Cream Cheese, Softened (Half of a 8 oz. package)
1 Cup Confectioners (Powdered) Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- In a small bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, ginger root and salt and stir with a whisk to thoroughly mix.
- In a large bowl combine vegetable oil, eggs, pineapple, raisins, nuts and carrot and whisk to combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix by hand with a spoon or rubber spatula till everything is well mixed.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray for baking (or butter and flour).
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and place in the bottom of a 7 quart crock-pot.
- Cover the top of the crock-pot with 4 paper towels (in a doubled layer of 2 unattached sheets) or a thin kitchen towel, making sure the towel is not touching the cake in the crock-pot.
- Cover with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake pan from crock-pot and let cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Invert cake out of the pan on the cooling rack and let cook completely before frosting.
- In a mixer whip the cream cheese still fluffy
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Once the cake is cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.
This recipe requires you to cook your cake in a loaf pan inserted into the crock of your crock-pot. Before beginning make sure you have a loaf pan that will fit.
You can also bake this in a conventional oven. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake for 50 minutes.
Carrot cake batter in loaf pan inside oval crock-pot
Carrot cake in pan, in crock-pot with paper towels under lid to absorb extra moisture
If you enjoyed this post please share it!