When making this soup I was very thankful to have another adult around as I ended up having to rinse out all the milk that I accidentally added way too soon. Nothing like throwing an ingredient in and going…oops..how do I get that back out? Luckily it was easy to fish out what couldn’t get rinsed off, and rinse off the rest. Then start over again. We had guests over that evening and they said it tasted just like their mom’s made, and my kids enjoyed it as well.
Crock-Pot Shredded Potato Soup
8 Large potato’s shredded (do not shred until your ready to assemble soup)
1 Large onion shredded
2 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine
2 Chicken bouillon cubes
2 Tablespoons Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb
6 Cups Water
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Cups Milk
1/2 cup Flour
1 can of corn, drained
1/2 pound of Velveeta
1 Tablespoon of Paprika
- In 7 quart crock-pot pour water, bouillon, Mrs. Dash, Salt, and Butter.
- Peel and shred the onion and add.
- Peel and shred the Potato’s, if potatoes begin to change color put in a strainer.
- Rinse off the potato’s under water to remove excess starch build up, if potato’s changed color.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours mix milk and flour together and add to crock-pot.
- Add can of corn.
- Cut up 1/2 pound of Velveeta into chunks and add to soup and recover and cook for remaining hour.
- When hour is up, stir well to make sure Velveeta has melted well and then garnish with paprika.
This can also be cooked on low for 8 hours, still wait til the last hour to add the milk, flour and velveeta ingredients. Do not skip rinsing off the potatoes if they change colors. Starch can build up when shredding depending on what kind of potato you use, which is what changes the color. Rinsing rinses the starch off.
If you enjoyed this post please share it!