Crock-Pot Ham and Beans
A reader submitted recipe from Krista Marshall at www.everydaymomsmeals.blogspot.com. Thanks Krista!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans is a classic. It really just hits the spot on a cold day and is super frugal too. Beans and ham and simmered in the slow cooker along with some carrots and onion and then everything is thickened up at the end for a rib sticking dish.
Perfect served with some homemade cornbread!
1 Pound. Dried Great Northern Beans
1 Medium Sweet Onion, Finely Chopped
2 Ribs Celery, Finely Chopped
2 Medium Carrots, Finely Chopped
1/2 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
1/2 Tablespoon Pepper
1 Pound Ham, Cut Into Bite Sized Chunks
5 Cups Water
3 Tablespoons Flour
- Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
- Rinse, drain, and place in crock-pot.
- In a food processor, add onion, celery and carrots.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add onion mixture to beans.
- Add ham to beans.
- Pour water on top, season with salt & pepper.
- Stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Lower heat to low and cook for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Using a ladle, spoon some of the liquid out and mix w/ flour. Pour back into soup and return to high heat.
- Cook for 1 hour more (8 hours total) until thickened