Serve this old-fashioned and frugal recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans with homemade cornbread for a winter meal that really hits the spot on a cold day!
Slow Cooker Ham and Beans
A reader submitted recipe from Krista Marshall at Everydaymomsmeals. Thanks Krista!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans is a classic. It really just hits the spot on a cold day and is super frugal too. Beans and ham and simmered in the slow cooker along with some carrots and onion and then everything is thickened up at the end for a rib sticking dish.
Perfect served with some homemade cornbread!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Ham and Beans Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Small Bowl
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use just about any variety of dried beans in this recipe. Although great northern beans are standard for this recipe other beans will work too. I have made this soup with navy beans and pinto beans too and the soup comes out fantastic!
The all-purpose flour that is called for in this recipe is used as a thickener. So, if you are on a gluten-free diet you have a couple options to make this soup gluten-free such as…
– Use a gluten-free flour thickener such as cornstarch, tapioca flour or xanthan gum.
– Omit the thickener all-together and have a little bit runnier soup. Still tasty!
– Scoop out some of the beans and liquid and puree them in a blender, add the bean puree back into the slow cooker and stir. This will create a creamy broth that is slightly thickened.
Yes, if you would like to use canned beans instead of dried beans just omit the soaking of the dried beans overnight part of the recipe and decrease the cooking time down to about 4 hours. Since your canned beans are already cooked you just need to cook the soup long enough to cook the vegetables until they are tender.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Fantastic Crockpot Soups!
Crock-Pot Ham and Beans Recipe
- Sort beans to remove any dried beans and/or stones and then soak in enough water to cover the beans overnight or for 8 hours.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse under cool water.
- Place beans in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add diced carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper and water to beans in the slow cooker and stir quickly to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Lower heat to LOW and continue to cook for 6 hours.
- Using a ladle, spoon some of the liquid out in to a small bowl and whisk in the flour until there are no lumps.
- Pour flour mixture back into soup and turn slow cooker to HIGH, recover slow cooker and cook for 1 additional hour until soup has thickened.
- Ladle soup into bowl and enjoy!