Serve this old-fashioned and frugal recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans with homemade cornbread for a winter meal that really hits the spot on a cold day!
Slow Cooker Ham and Beans
A reader submitted recipe from Krista Marshall at Everydaymomsmeals. Thanks Krista!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Ham and Beans is a classic. It really just hits the spot on a cold day and is super frugal too. Beans and ham and simmered in the slow cooker along with some carrots and onion and then everything is thickened up at the end for a rib sticking dish.
Perfect served with some homemade cornbread!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Ham and Beans Recipe:
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Small Bowl
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use just about any variety of dried beans in this recipe. Although great northern beans are standard for this recipe other beans will work too. I have made this soup with navy beans and pinto beans too and the soup comes out fantastic!
The all-purpose flour that is called for in this recipe is used as a thickener. So, if you are on a gluten-free diet you have a couple options to make this soup gluten-free such as…
– Use a gluten-free flour thickener such as cornstarch, tapioca flour or xanthan gum.
– Omit the thickener all-together and have a little bit runnier soup. Still tasty!
– Scoop out some of the beans and liquid and puree them in a blender, add the bean puree back into the slow cooker and stir. This will create a creamy broth that is slightly thickened.
Yes, if you would like to use canned beans instead of dried beans just omit the soaking of the dried beans overnight part of the recipe and decrease the cooking time down to about 4 hours. Since your canned beans are already cooked you just need to cook the soup long enough to cook the vegetables until they are tender.
More Fantastic Crockpot Soups!
- Blue WW Plan – 2 Points
- Green WW Plan – 6 Points
- Purple WW Plan – 2 Points