With just 5 ingredients (carrots, brown sugar, ginger, orange juice and butter) this recipe for Crock-Pot Sugar Carrots with Ginger could not be easier to make. The perfect side dish for any meal or special occasion such as Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving!
Slow Cooker Sugar Carrots with Ginger
One thing I struggle with is getting my youngest to eat her veggies. She really only likes broccoli and even then will only eat the “tree” part, not the stalk. I found that she will eat carrots if I cook them with a little butter and brown sugar on the stove. She calls these “Sugar Carrots”. But since this past month I was searching for a recipe incorporating ginger and carrots, I decided to try these in the crock-pot with a little fresh ginger and oj. The result got two thumbs up from my picky eater!
If you’ve never cooked with fresh ginger before, it can be a little daunting when you bring home that knubby looking ginger root and try to figure out how to peel it without completely destroying it (or your fingers). A trick I learned is to use a regular kitchen spoon to scrape off the peel. You’ll be amazed at how easily the peel comes off and the spoon is able to get into those crevices. If you need a tutorial on how to do this, here is a video demonstration from Howdini I found on YouTube:
Gluten Free | Low Calorie | Low Fat | Low Sodium | Vegetarian
This recipe for Crock-Pot Sugar Carrots with Ginger is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Fantastic Slow Cooker Side Dishes!
- Crock-Pot Funeral Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Crock-Pot Grandma’s Famous Baked Beans
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Crock-Pot Green Beans + Video
Crock-Pot Sugar Carrots with Ginger Recipe
- 7 whole Carrots (sliced into 1/4 inch slices)
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Ginger (peeled and finely minced)
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Butter
- Wash, peel and slice carrots into 1/4 inch slices.
- Add carrots, ginger, brown sugar, orange juice and butter to a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hours.
- Remove lid from slow cooker and stir carrot mixture to make sure there are no clumps of brown sugar.
- Cover slow cooker and switch the temperature to LOW and cook for an additional 4 to 5 hours or until the carrots reach your desired tenderness level.
- There should be a fair amount of “sauce” in the bottom of the crock-pot which you can spoon over the carrots when you serve them.
Dee B says
I loved these carrots and they made my house smell so good. The second time I made them I puréed the carrots and liquid then added almond milk for a delicious creamy soup. My husband who typically doesn’t care for soup had seconds.
Lady Heidi says
That sounds Amazing Dee! What a great idea to turn them into a carrot soup!