Serve this delicious slow cooker casserole recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Ham for dinner or even breakfast. Hashbrown potatoes, cheese and ham combine for a hearty dish that everyone will love! Bonus points because this recipe can also be made into a slow cooker freezer meal!
This recipe for Crock-Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Ham is included in our 10 Easy Crock-Pot Freezer Meals Meal Plan that you can purchase in our store for just $2.99. The meal plan includes 10 great freezer meals that you can prepare ahead of time and have ready to go in your freezer. You will also get a printable grocery shopping list for all the ingredients needed to make all 10 meals as well as printable labels that you can stick on your freezer bags.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes and Ham
I really love making this recipe because I don’t have to deal with any sort of raw meat. Because let’s face it, raw meat is sort of gross. I purchased and used a couple of ham steaks that are easily found at just about any American grocery store. But if you have leftover ham from say Christmas or Easter this recipe would be a perfect way to use some of that ham up.
For the potatoes I use frozen hash brown potatoes, either the diced or shredded kind will work. Frozen potatoes are just super easy and you don’t have to spend any time peeling and cutting up potatoes.
But if you want to use fresh potatoes you of course can do that. Just be sure to rinse your cut or shredded potatoes very well to remove excess starch.
There is plenty of salt from the ham in this recipe that to avoid an overtly salty finished casserole, it is best to use low-sodium cream of mushroom soup in this recipe.
I personally have zero aversions to using cream-of-something type soups when I cook from time to time. However if you would prefer not to use them you can use this fabulous recipe for Cream of “Something” Soup Mix from One Orange Giraffe. I have used this mix for at least 10 years and it works great!
This slow cooker recipe is pretty versatile in that you can use other “cream of” type soups or even add in some vegetables. One example I like is adding frozen broccoli florets and using cream of broccoli soup instead. Super yummy!
More Great Crockpot Recipes!
- Slow Cooker Funeral Potatoes
- Crock-Pot Baked Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Grandma’s Famous Baked Beans
- Crock-Pot Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Slow Cooker Green Beans + Video
Crock-Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Ham Recipe
- 28 ounces Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes (diced or shredded)
- 21 ounces Low Sodium Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 1 medium Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 21 ounces Water (use the cans from the soup to measure)
- 2 whole Ham Steaks (chopped (about 8 ounces each))
- 8 ounces Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker and mix to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add all of the ingredients to a 1 gallon sized zippered freezer bag and squish the bag several times to mix the ingredients in the bag.
- Lay the bag flat on the counter and push out excess air while sealing the bag.
- Label the bag with the name of the recipe, date frozen, ingredients and cooking instructions.
- To cook, place all ingredients from the freezer bag into the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours on LOW.