The nice thing about rolling cabbage rolls, is there is no right or wrong. I like to cut the larger leaves in two and make two smaller cabbage rolls. I also use almost every usable leaf of cabbage. Any leftovers freeze well, or you can make them ahead of time and then cook when you want.
Crock-Pot Freezer Meal: You can freeze the cabbage rolls uncooked ahead of time. Do not steam the leaves prior to doing this.
1 Medium Head of Fresh Cabbage
1 Large Onion, diced
2 lbs of Ground Beef
1 Cup Cooked White Rice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
1 Can Tomato Soup
1 11.5oz Can V8
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- On the stove top, cook rice and set aside.
- Remove the stem from the cabbage and peel each individual leaf back.
- Steam cabbage leaves for 60 seconds and then place in a bowl of ice cold water. Set aside.
- In a pan, cook onions until onions are clear in color.
- In a large bowl, add ground beef, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked onions and rice.
- Mix well.
- Taking one cabbage leaf at a time, add a spoon or more of the meat mixture. Using your hand, gather the meat on one end of the cabbage leaf and then roll the leaf.
- Layer the cabbage rolls into the bottom of a crock-pot. Layering as you add until all the meat mixture is used.
- In a bowl, mix the tomato soup, Worcestershire and V8 juice.
- Pour the mixture on top of the cabbage rolls.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours.