An easy and filling Crock-Pot Cheesy Harvest Potato Chowder using Velveeta cheese and potatoes. This simple recipe cooks all day in your slow cooker while you work, shop or have some family time!
Crock-Pot Cheesy Harvest Potato Chowder
This hearty and cheesy chowder recipe was submitted to us by reader Sarah Coulter and let me tell you it is as fantastic as it sounds!
Potatoes, corn and ground beef are featured in a creamy and cheesy potato chowder that just really hits the spot on a cold and chilly day.
Grab some slices of crusty Italian or French bread so that you can sop up the cheesy broth and make this fantastic soup today!
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – Whenever possible I like to use the leanest ground beef I can possibly buy, that way when I brown and crumble it in a skillet there is not a lot of excess fat that I have to drain off.
- Potatoes – You can use any type of potato you prefer in this recipe and you don’t even have to peel the potatoes first. Of course, you can peel them if you want to.
- Onion – I prefer yellow onions for cooking.
- Corn Kernels – You can use frozen corn, canned corn or fresh corn kernels that you have cut off the cob.
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth – I prefer using our Homemade Chicken Broth in most recipes, but canned chicken broth works too!
- Canned Cream Of Chicken Soup – 1 can of cream of chicken soup really thickens up this soup into a chowder. You can use the low-fat variety to shave off a few calories if desired.
- Black Pepper – Whenever possibly grind your own using a pepper grinder.
- Dried Basil
- Dried Thyme
- Cream Cheese – You can use regular cream cheese or a low-fat variety. Just be sure to buy the cream cheese in a block because the whipped kind found in tubs will not work right for this recipe.
- Processed American Cheese – Such as Velveeta. You either love it or you hate it but in this recipe it is needed.
- In a large skillet on the stove-top, brown and crumble the ground beef until no longer pink, drain off excess cooking fat and add cooked meat to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, onion, corn, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, pepper, basil and thyme to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove lid from slow cooker and add cubed cream cheese and Velveeta.
- Recover and continue cooking on low for about 30 additional minutes or until the cheeses are melted, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and serve with crusty French or Italian bread for sopping the soup if desired.
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Can Opener
Check out these popular soup recipes too!
- Crock-Pot Potato & Kielbasa Chowder
- Slow Cooker Lobster Bisque + Video
- Crock-Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat) + Video
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crock-Pot Meatball Beef Stew + Video
|Soup Crock-Pot Recipes||Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Chowder Slow Cooker Recipes||Cheesy Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Fall Crock-Pot Recipes||Winter Slow Cooker Recipes|