Tender cabbage leaves are stuffed with a delicious ground beef and rice mixture and then allowed to simmer away in the slow cooker in a tomato based sauce in this delicious recipe for Crock-Pot Cabbage Rolls! You can also prepare the rolls ahead of time and freeze them for a dinner the whole family will love!
Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
It is a bit of a mystery where the stuffed cabbage roll comes from. Poland, Russia, or somewhere else? I am not really sure despite a lot of Google research. There have been versions of stuffed cabbage leaves for thousands of years so it is a little hard to tell.
This version however is a old family recipe that I have adapted to a slow cooker recipe. With a ground beef and rice filling and a tomato sauce that is based on canned tomato soup and vegetable juice the finished cabbage rolls are super tasty and to be honest one of my favorites!
I know what your’e saying…canned tomato soup and vegetable juice? WHAT? That is not traditional! And you would be right. But don’t knock it until you try it. The tomato soup adds a yummy texture with a little creaminess (even though you don’t add milk to the soup) and the tomato juice adds some nice zing. A touch of Worcestershire sauce added to the sauce brings forth a pop of umami flavor and the whole thing is just wonderful.
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Cutting Board
- Rice Cooker With Steamer OR Steamer Pot
- Large Skillet
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Can Opener
This recipe for Crock-Pot Cabbage Rolls is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Fantastic Ground Beef Slow Cooker Entrees To Try!
- Crock-Pot Ravioli Casserole
- Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup + Video
- Crock-Pot Cheesy Harvest Potato Chowder
- Slow Cooker Getting Sauced Spaghetti Sauce
- Crock-Pot Taco Spaghetti
Crock-Pot Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Core the head of cabbage and carefully remove each individual leaf off of the head and wash to remove dirt.
- Place clean cabbage leaves inside a steamer (or use a large pot with a steamer basket and tight fitting lid) and steam of 60 seconds. Remove steamed leaves and cool leaves by placing them in a bowl of ice water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet on the stove-top cook the diced onions until translucent; about 3 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the raw ground beef, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked onions and rice and mix well with your hands to combine thoroughly.
- Taking one steamed cabbage leaf at a time, add two to three tablespoons of the meat mixture on a cabbage leaf.
- Using your hands, gather the meat on one end of the lead and neatly roll the cabbage leaf around the meat mixture.
- Layer the rolled cabbage rolls into the bottom of a 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker or a 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker. Layering the rolls as you add them to the slow cooker until you have used all of the meat mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the canned tomato soup, vegetable juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the cabbage rolls.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until the meat filling inside the cabbage rolls is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired before serving and ENJOY!