This recipe for Crock-Pot Upside Down Taco Pie is yummy & frugal too. Taco seasoned hamburger is topped with a Bisquick crust & baked in the slow cooker!
Crock-Pot Upside Down Taco Pie
Yummy taco seasoned meat, cheese and other fixin’s are layered in your slow cooker and topped with a Bisquick crust on top and baked in the slow cooker. Spoon into bowls and top with additional cheese and toppings if desired.
A great frugal recipe that everyone in the whole family will love!
In this recipe I used my 3.5 quart casserole slow cooker but you can also use a 6 quart or larger oval slow cooker.
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – To keep the calories lower I always use extra lean ground beef, in fact I try to use 96% lean 4% fat whenever I can find it. You can also use ground turkey in this recipe with great results!
- Yellow Onion – Just a regular medium sized onion.
- Salsa – Use your favorite brand of jarred salsa. If you like it spicy use a spicy salsa. I personally just use a mild salsa to keep it kid friendly.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes – One 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes with the juice from the can.
- Taco Seasoning – I prefer to use 3 tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning mix simply because I know exactly what is in it (no weird ingredients) but you can use one envelope of whatever brand of taco seasoning you prefer.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – I try to shred my own cheese whenever possible. But if you are short on time just use some of the pre-shredded cheddar cheese you find at the grocery store.
- Bisquick Baking Mix – I usually have a box of Bisquick on hand in the pantry for quick meals but if you don’t want to buy some or this is not an ingredient you can find where you live you can totally make your own. In fact, this recipe for Homemade Bisquick Mix is one I have made several times and it works great in this recipe or any recipe calling for Bisquick!
- Milk – I have tested this recipe using fat-free dairy milk as well as unsweetened almond milk and it comes out great either way. Using any fat percentage dairy milk will work. As far as other dairy-free milks such as cashew, coconut, soy, rice or hemp…I have not personally tested this recipe using those. However…I think it should work just fine. (if you try it leave a comment and let me know!)
- Cook and crumble the ground beef with the diced onion in a large skillet. I prefer a good cast iron skillet but any frying pan will work. You just want to cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink and everything is in nice crumble sizes. Drain off any excess fat if there is any. I find when I use extra lean ground beef there really isn’t any fat to drain off.
- Add the ground beef and onion mixture to your slow cooker and add in the salsa, tomatoes and taco seasoning and give everything a stir to combine.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on LOW heat for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours remove the lid and sprinkle on the shredded cheese.
- Then, in a small mixing bowl mix together the Bisquick and milk and add this mixture evenly over the top of the meat and cheese mixture in the slow cooker. Spread it out as evenly as possible.
- Recover your slow cooker and continue cooking on LOW heat for about 30 to 45 minutes or until the Bisquick mix is cooked through.
- At this point you are ready to serve it. Spoon some of the Upside Down Taco Pie onto plates and serve. I like to set out some additional toppings for my family to add on their own. I usually put out some additional shredded cheese, sour cream and maybe some chopped green onion or fresh cilantro and we all just add whatever toppings we want. So good!
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cheese Grater
- Small Mixing Bowl
More yummy ground beef recipes:
- Crock-Pot Sloppy Joes
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Crock-Pot Meat Loaf
- Slow Cooker Creamy Southwest Beef Burritos
- Crock-Pot Taco Bake
|Ground Beef Crock-Pot Recipes||Beef Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Mexican Slow Cooker Recipes||3.5 Quart Casserole Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Casserole Crock-Pot Recipes||Cinco de Mayo Slow Cooker Recipes|