This recipe for Crock-Pot Sloppy Joes is a huge hit with everyone in the family (including the kids)! The flavor is better than what you will find in a can!
Crock-Pot Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are always a classic and a big hit with my kids. But forget about using a can of Manwich because these homemade sloppy joes taste about 100 times better than any sauce you can get from a can!
I like to make a double or even a triple batch of these sloppy joes and freeze the meat in freezer bags once cooked. That way when I know I have a busy day I can just quickly thaw the sloppy joe meat and reheat it up on the stove top and make delicious sandwiches for dinner.
Having pre-cooked freezer meal type ingredients on hand really helps my food budget because I can batch cook when ground beef is on sale and I can buy in bulk AND knowing that I have easy re-heatable meals on hand means I am less inclined to order take-out when we have a super crazy busy day!
While you do need to cook the hamburger on the stove-top (along with the bell peppers and onions) the benefits of cooking the sloppy joe meat mixture in the slow cooker is that it really allows the flavors to meld together.
Ingredients needed for slow cooked Sloppy Joe’s:
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – Because I am on Weight Watchers I use the leanest ground beef that I can find.
- Yellow Onion – To make this kid friendly I only used a half of an onion. You can omit it is your kids don’t like onion at all or you can add the whole onion if you want to.
- Green Bell Pepper – You can use any color bell pepper. Green is just the most commonly available color, but red, yellow or orange bell peppers will work too!
- Ketchup – Use whatever brand you like, I am kind of brand loyal to Heinz low sugar ketchup.
- Bottled Barbecue Sauce – Again, use your favorite brand. I love Sweet Baby Ray’s brand!
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Mustard
- Worcestershire Sauce
Check out these other kid friendly recipes too!
- Crock-Pot Cheeseburger Joes
- Crock-Pot Corn Dog and Beans Casserole
- Crock-Pot Sweet Sloppy Joes
- Crock-Pot Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Crock-Pot Cheesy Chicken Ranch Tater Tot Casserole + Video