Whip up this amazing and easy recipe for Crock-Pot Sausage Hash Brown Casserole Recipe with just 5 simple ingredients for breakfast or brunch! Sausage, frozen hash brown potatoes, eggs, milk and cheese are all you need to make this simple breakfast recipe in your slow cooker.
Crock-Pot Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
Casseroles in a crock-pot are a great item to bring to a family function, potluck or work lunch. They are also great when you want to make something, but you would like it to cook slowly while you either cook other items on the stove or you get to relax and read a book (or clean the bathroom or take a longer nap!)
This dish is a 5 ingredient easy breakfast casserole to make. There is a little prep work of browning the hash browns prior to cooking, but remember, this can be done the night before so you are not rushed in the morning. You can prepare the entire casserole, store it in the refrigerator overnight and then cook in the morning.
I prefer to cook my hash browns in bacon grease. I keep a little jar in the fridge. This time however I used the sausage drippings (not all , just some of it) and browned my hash browns that way. I think it adds a little bit more flavor. But feel free to use butter if you would rather.
Once you have everything ready, dump it in the crock-pot and turn it on.
Make sure that when it is done, a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean. Then serve!
- Eggs – I almost always use large eggs in my recipes.
- Breakfast Sausage – I used pork breakfast sausage but to save a few calories and fat this recipe can easily be made with turkey sausage as well.
- Frozen Hash Browns – You will want to use shredded frozen hash brown potatoes. Look for brands that contain no other ingredients other than potatoes. If you can find them frozen shredded sweet potatoes is fantastic in this recipe too!
- Milk – I purchase fat-free skim milk for my milk drinking kids so that is what I used in this recipe. But feel free to use 1%, 2%, or whole dairy milk or if you are dairy free any unsweetened and unflavored non-dairy milk will work too.
- Cheddar Cheese – Whenever possible I like to shred or grate my own cheese for the best flavor and ability to melt the best. However, if you are in a pinch for time feel free to use the pre-shredded cheese found at the grocery store!
- In a large skillet cook and brown the breakfast sausage on the stove top, drain off excess fat and add cooked sausage to a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- In the same skillet add in a little bit of the sausage drippings (or butter) and cook the hash browns until slightly browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the browned hash browns to the crock-pot.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and cheese until well combined. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and hash browns in the slow cooker.
- Give everything a quick mix with a spoon and cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean.
- Large Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula
- 4 Quart, 5 Quart or 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Dry Measuring Cups
- Liquid Measuring Cup
More yummy breakfast casserole recipes to try:
- Slow Cooker Biscuit Breakfast Casserole
- Crock-Pot Biscuit and Bacon Breakfast Casserole
- Slow Cooker Blueberry Breakfast Casserole
- Crock-Pot Fully Loaded Breakfast Casserole
- Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sweet Roll Casserole
|Breakfast Crock-Pot Recipes||Casserole Slow Cooker Recipes|
|5 Ingredients Or Less Slow Cooker Recipes||American Crock-Pot Recipes|
|4 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes||Sausage Slow Cooker Recipes|