This recipe for Crock-Pot Tomato & Spinach Pasta is packed with flavor & veggies. The family is going to love this easy recipe. Serve with garlic toast!
Slow Cooker Tomato & Spinach Pasta
Italian sausage, tomatoes and spinach make for a flavorful pasta dish that is perfect for dinner any night of the week. Feel free to lighten up the recipe a little bit by using turkey Italian sausage for a little less fat and calories.
The pasta in this recipe is cooked on the stove-top according to the directions on the package of pasta until just al dente. Then the cooked pasta is added to the meaty sauce mixture right before serving. Cooking the pasta on the stove-top prevents the pasta from turning mushy.
On days that are particularly busy with my family I have had great success cooking the pasta ahead of time, draining it and cooling it under cold running water in the colander and then putting in a covered container in the refrigerator or a plastic gallon sized food storage bag. The pasta may stick together a little bit but will loosen up when mixed into the hot sauce in the slow cooker. And the sauce will warm up the pasta nicely.
- 4 Quart Slow Cooker
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Large Stock Pot
- Can Opener
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Cheese Grater
Check out these Italian slow cooker recipes too!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat) + Video
- Crock-Pot Pesto Chicken + Video
- Slow Cooker Chicken Brushetta Bake
- Crock-Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Slow Cooker Layered Lasagna Casserole + Video
Crock-Pot Tomato & Spinach Pasta Recipe
- 2 Pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Minced)
- 28 Ounces Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 10 Ounces Frozen Spinach (Thawed)
- 16 Ounces Rotini Pasta (Cooked On The Stove-Top According To The Package Directions)
- 2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- In a large skillet, cook Italian sausage, onion and garlic until meat is cooked and crumbled.
- Drain excess fat off the meat and add everything to a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning and salt to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
- 30 minutes prior to serving, add in spinach, cooked pasta and mozzarella cheese.
- Switch to high, cover the slow cooker, and cook for 30 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!