This recipe for Crock-Pot Quinoa Bean Soup is a tasty, fun, protein packed way to use quinoa that your family will enjoy! So easy and fuss free!
Crock-Pot Quinoa Bean Soup
What a fun recipe to put together, especially if you are wanting to try out quinoa or sneak it into your meal without the kiddo’s realizing they were eating a “superfood”.
The quinoa adds all kinds of healthy stuff to this dish which is in the realm of a taco soup in flavor and ingredients and the texture once cooked and the quinoa soaks up some of the cooking liquid ends up being more of a stew in constancy.
To be honest I had a hard time deciding on if this should be named as a stew or soup.
Of course, if you want more of a soupy final dish you can add more broth.
I used my own homemade taco seasoning mix because I just prefer the flavor over the store bought kind. But you can use a packet of your favorite brand of low-sodium taco seasoning mix.
What I love MOST about this recipe is that it can be made into slow cooker freezer meal. Which means I can have a bag of this hearty and healthy soup stashed away in my freezer ready to be pulled out and cooked on those days when I just know life is going to be crazy!
What I like to do is cook up double the ground beef and put half in the slow cooker and the other half in a freezer bag. Then I just double all the other ingredients and make one batch for dinner in the slow cooker and another batch for the freezer. It literally takes just a few extra minutes to be able to tuck a freezer meal away for later.
- Extra Lean Ground Beef – Or you may use ground turkey.
- Yellow Onion – Peeled and finely diced.
- Kidney Beans (Canned) – Rinsed and drained.
- Black Beans (Canned) – Rinsed and drained.
- Diced Tomatoes (Canned) – Undrained
- Tomato Sauce
- Canned Corn – Drained
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth – I prefer to use my Homemade Chicken Broth but store bought works too.
- Low Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix – You can use 1 packet of store bought or 3 tablespoons of our Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix.
- Quinoa – Rinsed and drained.
- In a large skillet on the stove-top, cook and crumble the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat and add the cooked meat to a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together with a spoon.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or until the quinoa is cooked and tender.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings if desired.
Can I Use Other Types Of Beans In This Soup?
Yes, you can use any type of canned beans you want. If you want to cook up some dried beans you can use our Crock-Pot Basic Beans recipe to cook up just about any kind of dried beans.
If I Want To Make This Vegetarian What Do I Need To Do?
You can easily make this recipe vegetarian just by skipping the ground beef. If you want to replace the beef with something else toss in a cup or two of dried lentils which will cook in the soup.
What Are Some Tasty Toppings For This Soup?
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream or Mexican crema
- Tortilla chips or Fritos corn chips
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Fresh salsa
More Great Slow Cooker Soup Recipes!
- Crock-Pot Beef Scotch Broth
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup + Video
- Crock-Pot Mexican Beef & Veggie Soup
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Crock-Pot Lobster Bisque + Video
|Ground Beef Crock-Pot Recipes||Beef Slow Cooker Recipes|
|Freezer Meal Slow Cooker Recipes||Beans Crock-Pot Recipes|
|Soup Crock-Pot Recipes||Mexican Slow Cooker Recipes|