Tender morsels of beef are slow cooked in a flavorful gravy in this recipe for Crock-Pot Beef Tips. Serve over cooked white or brown rice or egg noodles.
Crock-Pot Beef Tips
Last week I picked up a package of beef tips (also known a stew meat) on manager markdown at the grocery store and immediately knew what recipe I wanted to make with them. While a beef stew is always on the mind when one buys stew meat I knew that Crock-Pot Beef Tips was something a little different and a recipe that I knew would come out full of flavor and tender.
The crock-pot is the perfect cooking environment for this cut of meat at it allows you to cook it low and slow and let the meat get tender and juicy. The meat simmers away all day in a lovely sauce which make a delicious and flavorful gravy.
You can then serve the slow cooker beef tips with their gravy over rice (like I did) or over cooked egg noodles or even tucked away in a roll as a sandwich!
I served this with a lovely side salad so we could get our veggies in. This is one of those meals that is humble, simple and delicious, YET it can easily be served as a fancy dinner. It is all in the presentation! If I was making this recipe for myself I would have added some sliced mushrooms, but alas we have a half and half family when it comes to mushrooms. Half of us (the sane half) LOVES mushrooms, the other half (the crazy half) despises them.
Usually I just make things with mushrooms and tell folks to pick them out.
Tough love folks…
But this time I just opted out of the mushrooms.
Next time however I am totally adding them!
Either way…mushrooms or no mushrooms…this comes out fantastic!
- All-Purpose Flour
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground preferred.
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
- Beef Stew Meat – Most grocery stores well beef stew meat already cut up into 1 to 2 inch cubes. However you can also just cut up a chuck roast into bite sized pieces. And if you are a hunter this recipe also works great with venison!
- Yellow Onion -Peeled and diced
- Low Sodium Beef Broth
- Red Wine – To substitute red wine in this recipe replace it with 1 cup of additional beef broth and a splash of apple cider, balsamic, or red wine vinegar.
- Brown Gravy Mix – I used a packet of McCormick brand low sodium brown gravy mix. But, you can easily make your own gravy mix using the recipe included below.
- In a shallow dish place the flour, pepper and garlic powder and stir with a fork to combine.
- Toss the beef tips in the flour mixture to coat on all sides and set aside.
- On the stove-top, heat a large skillet until very hot and then add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the floured beef to the pan and sear the meat and brown it on one side for about 4 to 6 minutes. Then flip the meat over as best as you can (I just use a spatula and give it a turn) and allow it to brown on that side for another 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove beef from frying pan and transfer to a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- In the same pan add an additional 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chopped onions, and cook them until they are translucent and slightly browned (10 to 15 minutes).
- Add cooked onions to the crock-pot.
- Deglaze the pan in which you cooked the beef and onions with some of the beef broth, making sure to scrap up the browned bits and pour off the liquid into the crock-pot with your beef and onions.
- Add the rest of the beef broth, red wine and brown gravy mix and stir everything to combine.
- If you wish to add sliced mushrooms now would be the time to add 8 oz. sliced white or baby portobello mushrooms to your slow cooker.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on LOW temperature for 6 to 8 hours.
- Give everything in the crock a final stir and serve over cooked white or brown rice or cooked egg noodles for a lovey dinner and enjoy!
- 5 Quart Or 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Shallow Dish
- Dry Measuring Cups And Measuring Spoons
- Large Skillet
- Slotted Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Liquid Measuring Cup
More Tasty Beef Slow Cooker Recipes!
- Crock-Pot Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Crock-Pot Balsamic Roast Beef Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Frito Pie
- Crock-Pot BBQ Boneless Beef Ribs
|Beef Crock-Pot Recipes||Entree Slow Cooker Recipes|
|American Slow Cooker Recipes||5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes|
|6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes||Winter Slow Cooker Recipes|