If you like the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Garden you are going to love this easy to prepare at home copy-cat recipe for Crock-Pot Zuppa Toscana soup!
Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana Soup
If you like the Zuppa Toscana (Tuscan Soup) at Olive Garden you are going to LOVE this recipe that you can make at home in your slow cooker.
The recipe starts with some Italian sausage and crispy bacon that you cook on the stove-top.
Then potatoes and some other great ingredients are added to the slow cooker with the sausage. Everything is cooked in the slow cooker until the potatoes are tender and the flavors of the soup are developed.
And then…the best part of the soup… cream is added right before serving so you end up with a lovely slightly creamy (but not thick like a chowder) soup is the final result.
I often make this soup for dinner and serve it with a nice fresh green salad and a baguette of bread.
The bread is a must for my family so that they can sop up the lovely creamy broth.
- 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- Liquid Measuring Cup
Crock-Pot Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
- 1 Pound Ground Italian Sausage (Sweet Or Spicy)
- 1 Pound Thick Sliced Center Cut Bacon (Diced)
- 1 Quart Water
- 29 Ounces Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (Store Bought Or Homemade Chicken Broth)
- 4 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes (Washed And Diced Into Bite Sized Pieces)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Peeled And Diced Small)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Cups Kale (Roughly Chopped (May Also Use Swiss Chard Or Baby Spinach))
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salt And Pepper (To Taste)
- In a large skillet on the stove-top, brown and crumble the Italian sausage. Drain off excess cooking fat. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the diced bacon until crispy. Drain off excess cooking fat. Set aside.
- Add water, chicken broth, potatoes, onion, garlic, bacon and sausage into a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours or until the potatoes are cooked until ‘fork tender“.
- Add chopped kale and heavy whipping cream and stir to combine into soup.
- Recover slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes on LOW.
- Taste soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.