Use up zucchini from the garden in this family friendly recipe for Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza Boats! Zucchini is cut in half and filled with pizza toppings!
Slow Cooker Zucchini Pizza Boats
When your summer garden is bursting with zucchini and you need recipes to get it used up this is a great recipe!
Because I usually buy Italian sausage in bulk and cook it up and freeze it it was super easy for me to pull out some frozen Italian sausage from my freezer and make up these slow cooker zucchini pizza boats.
But if you have to cook up some Italian sausage it only takes a few minutes on the stove top in a frying pan.
I kept the pizza ingredients simple with just Italian sausage, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese but feel free to change things up by using YOUR favorite pizza toppings!
Additional Pizza Toppings For Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Ground beef
- Canadian bacon
- Bell Peppers
Just fill each zucchini half with your favorite pizza toppings and toss the boats into your slow cooker and let them cook for a few hours until the zucchini is cooked but not mushy.
Then you turn your slow cooker off, add the cheese and put the lid back on and let the pizza boats rest in the warm slow cooker to allow for the cheese to melt.
Easy and delicious!
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe:
- 4 Quart, 4.5 Quart, 5 Quart, 5.5 Quart, 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Medium Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Paper Towels
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cup
- Cheese Grater
Frequently Asked Questions
If your garden is bursting with yellow summer squash you can absolutely use those instead of the zucchini in this recipe. I like to grow both of types of squash in my garden each year and I use them interchangeably in this yummy recipe.
There are several ways that you can lighten up this recipe such as:
– Use turkey Italian sausage instead of pork Italian sausage. Or skip the meat altogether and go with vegetable based toppings.
– Use low-fat or even fat-free mozzarella cheese.
– Look for a really good low-calorie jarred pizza sauce or make your own with this recipe for Crock-Pot Pizza Sauce
This recipe is not a great recipe to cook ahead of time and re-heat. I have found that the zucchini tends to get a bit soggy when re-heated. That being said you can prep this meal ahead of time by cutting your zucchini, cooking your Italian sausage and grating the cheese and stashing it all in the refrigerator until it is time to cook.
More Great Italian Sausage Recipes You’ll Love!
Crock-Pot Fresh Zucchini Casserole
Is your summer garden bursting at the seams with fresh zucchini? Make this recipe for Slow Cooker Fresh Zucchini Casserole for a tasty side dish or entrée!
Crock-Pot Italian Chicken & Zucchini
Make the most out of fresh zucchini with this delicious recipe for Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Zucchini. Serve it as it or over your favorite pasta!
Crock-Pot Zucchini Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Turn fresh summer zucchini into a delicious snack-able Slow Cooker Zucchini Cake. A homemade cream cheese frosting takes this cake over the top!
Crock-Pot Zucchini Bread
Use up the abundance of fresh zucchini in the summer without heating up the oven with this super easy recipe for Slow Cooker Zucchini Bread!
- 4 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 4.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Entrée Recipes
- Kid Friendly Crock-Pot Recipes
- Pork Crock-Pot Recipes
- Spring Recipes
- Summer Recipes
Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza Boats Recipe
- ½ Pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Medium Zucchini
- 1 Cup Jarred Pizza Sauce (Or Homemade Pizza Sauce)
- ¾ Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- In a medium sized skillet on the stove-top, brown and crumble the Italian sausage until it is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat and allow the sausage to drain further on several layers of paper towels.
- Prepare the zucchini by cutting it in half lengthwise and then scooping out the seeds with a spoon.
- Divide the Italian sausage and pizza sauce evenly into the two zucchini boats.
- Carefully place stuffed zucchini boats into the bottom of a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.
- Turn slow cooker off and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of each zucchini boat. Recover and allow the cheese to melt for 10 to 15 minutes in the warm slow cooker.
Fabian Tony says
This is a good post with full of info about Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza and it contains Zucchini Pizza making Ingredients and Instructions which I was looking forward to get. A big thank for sharing this post. Keep it up…