Turn fresh summer zucchini into a delicious snack-able Crock-Pot Zucchini Cake. A homemade cream cheese frosting takes this cake over the top!
Slow Cooker Zucchini Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
What do you do with the summer temperatures are in the triple digits, you have some fresh zucchini that you need to do something with and you promised the kids a yummy dessert after dinner? You make this delicious zucchini cake in your slow cooker of course!
This recipe is adapted from a family recipe passed down from my grandma Pat. She of course baked her cake in the oven (350° F for 40 to 45 minutes) but it has just been too darn hot to turn the oven on the past few days. So, I turned to my trusty slow cooker to bake the cake and it came out fantastic.
I prefer cooking cakes in my 3.5 quart rectangular casserole slow cooker because the finished product looks just like I baked a cake in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish in the oven. However, if you do not have a casserole slow cooker yet, you can easily cook this in a 6 quart oval slow cooker. Your finished cake will be oval in shape instead of rectangular and the cake may take a bit longer to cook as it will be thicker. But, the zucchini cake will still taste amazing!
This recipe is rather simple to make and you don’t even need a mixer to make the cake. My grandma didn’t have a fancy stand mixer. And this recipe just really needs a couple of mixing bowls, a whisk and a spatula or wooden spoon.
Now, I did bring out my Kitchen-Aid mixer to mix up the yummy cream cheese frosting. I just find that it is easier to whip the icing and get it nice and fluffy. But you can use a hand-mixer or even beat the frosting by hand.
To be honest though, I personally prefer this cake without the frosting. That way I don’t feel totally guilty for grabbing a piece for breakfast. 😀
My kids on the other hand think the frosting sends it over the top! And they do have a point.
Of course, a zucchini cake would not be a zucchini cake without some shredded zucchini. You are going to need 2 cups of shredded zucchini. Once you shred the unpeeled zucchini put it into a strainer and press out the excess moisture with the back of your hand. Then measure out 2 cups and add it to your batter.
If you have excess shredded zucchini after you measure out 2 cups, throw it into a container or bag and toss it into the fridge. Then add it to your scrambled eggs in the morning or hide it into your favorite jarred marinara sauce. 😉
Equipment Needed For Crock-Pot Zucchini Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 3.5 Quart Casserole Slow Cooker OR 6 Quart, 6.5 Quart Or 7 Quart Slow Cooker
- Mixing Bowls
- Dry Measuring Cups And Spoons
- Liquid Measuring Cup
- Paper Towels
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Stand Mixer
More Great Crockpot Zucchini Recipes!
- Crock-Pot Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
- Crock-Pot Sausage Stew
- Slow Cooker Zesty Italian Soup
- Crock-Pot Chicken Minestrone Soup
Crock-Pot Zucchini Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoons Grated Lemon Zest
- 2 Cups Grated Unpeeled Zucchini (about 2 to 3 small zucchinis (squeezed to remove excess moisture))
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans (or walnuts)
- ½ cup Golden Raisins
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, apple sauce, lemon zest and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three separate batches, mixing until well combined before adding more dry ingredients.
- Stir the shredded zucchini that has been squeezed, pecans and raisins to the batter and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon until everything is well distributed into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared slow cooker and spread batter evenly.
- Place a double layer of paper towels between the slow cooker insert and the lid to prevent condensation from dripping on your cake.
- Cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours (check cake at the 2 hour mark and cook for additional time only if necessary) or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cooked, remove the lid and paper towels and lift the stoneware crock out of the cooking base and place the cake in the crock on a wire cooling rack and allow the cake to cool to room temperature before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- While the cake is cooking add the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- Mix on slow speed until the powdered sugar is incorporated into the cream cheese. Turn mixer onto medium-high and whisk for 3 to 5 minutes or until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cooled cake.