Make the most out of fresh zucchini with this delicious recipe for Crock-Pot Italian Chicken & Zucchini. Serve it as it or over your favorite pasta!
Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Zucchini
If your garden is bursting at the seams with more zucchini (or squash) than you know what to do with your going to love this super easy and tasty recipe.
Start with a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce, or even use homemade if you prefer. I used 2 medium sized zucchini’s but you could also use one zucchini and one yellow squash for a fun color and flavor.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts are then simmered away in the spaghetti sauce along with some extra seasonings, onions and the zucchini.
At the end of cooking some lovely cheese is added and allowed to get all melty. Parmesan cheese is what I used because it goes perfectly with the Italian flavors but feel free to use whatever cheese floats your boat. Swiss, cheddar or mozzarella…go for it!
And because you all know I like my recipes to be adaptable…feel free to sneak in some diced bell peppers, fresh tomatoes, cubed carrots or even mushrooms…
You can totally eat this veggie loaded chicken dish as is (perhaps with a nice side salad) but I like to serve it over some cooked noodles or pasta. I just happened to have egg noodles in the pantry but use whatever pasta you have… spaghetti, fettuccine or linguine noodles will work great.
Don’t be afraid to play with the recipe to what your family enjoys or what you have on hand, since it’s so flexible. My family all approved (two thumbs up!) of the recipe and hope we have it again really soon…because you know that the garden is going to be putting out a ton more zucchini!
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker (Or Larger)
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Cheese Grater
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer
This recipe for Crock-Pot Italian Chicken & Zucchini is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Slow Cooker Weight Watchers Chicken Recipes!
- Crock-Pot Creamy Salsa Chicken (2 WW SmartPoints)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (2 WW SmartPoints)
- Crock-Pot Chicken and Black Beans (0 WW SmartPoints)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Ranch Tacos (1 WW SmartPoints)
- Crock-Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup (2 WW SmartPoints)
Crock-Pot Italian Chicken & Zucchini Recipe
- 3 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 24 Ounces Jarred Marinara Sauce (Or Homemade Marinara Sauce)
- 2 Medium Zucchini (Sliced)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onions (Chopped)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Cup Sliced Green Onions
- 2 Cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- In a large bowl mix together the marinara sauce, sliced zucchini, chopped yellow onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce mixture over top of chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the sliced green onions over the top of everything and cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165° F (74° C) on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Turn slow cooker to the WARM setting and sprinkle the shredded Parmesan cheese over the top of the chicken in the slow cooker, recover and let chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.