With just 3 ingredients, this frugal kid friendly recipe for Crock-Pot Sausage and Rice is sure to be a hit for dinner with the entire family!
Slow Cooker Sausage and Rice
Sausage and rice is one of my kids favorite meals. But, normally I make it on the stove-top because that is just how I have always done it.
But this time around I decided to try and adapt a family favorite meal into a slow cooker recipe.
This type of dish does not lend itself well to trying to cook the rice in the slow cooker, so it seemed that it may be a futile effort to attempt to make this into a slow cooker recipe.
But I was determined.
We are often SO busy at dinner time, what with lessons and homework and whatnot. It is nice to not have to be babysitting dinner.
In the end the final result tasted just like our normal sausage and rice and the kids really enjoyed it.
If you are not a family that eats pork, try using turkey or chicken sausage instead. They both will work great in this recipe!
Crock-Pot Sausage and Rice Recipe
- Place the raw ground sausage in the bottom of a 5 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, stirring and crumbling up the sausage meat every 1 hour or so.
- Carefully spoon off any excess fat from the sausage.
- Add the bag of frozen vegetables, recover and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking in the slow cooker prepare the minute rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the cooked rice to the sausage and vegetable mixture in the slow cooker and carefully stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.