Fresh Mushrooms, yellow squash, chopped onions and broccoli add wonderful flavor to this yummy Crock-Pot Mushroom Chicken in Tomato dish.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken in Tomato
This recipe came about because I had a bunch of leftover fresh veggies from a BBQ we hosted and I needed to come up with a way to use them up. I hate wasting food, it is something I strive not to do, so I always try to find ways to use up all extra food that I can and this recipe for Crock-Pot Mushroom Chicken in Tomato turned out delicious from those “leftovers”.
At our BBQ we had made up BBQ veggie kabobs, so I had a bunch of leftover yellow squash, onion and mushrooms. In the freezer I had chicken and broccoli and plenty of tomato soup in the pantry. Voilà…a new recipe was developed.
This is definitely a flexible recipe, you can replace the broccoli with a different vegetable such as cauliflower or a broccoli and cauliflower mix, you can use zucchini or another summer squash, and if you don’t like mushrooms…leave them out. You can use canned mushrooms (drained), fresh instead of frozen, you can use corn, green beans or even cabbage. If your cans of tomato soup are a different size, that won’t be a problem either. In a pinch you could even use a large jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce. Use your imagination to use up all those “leftovers”.
For the chicken I did not even bother thawing it out first. I just placed it in the slow cooker and it cooked great at the 7 hour mark. If you are using thawed chicken you will probably want to cook it only about 6 hours. I always check chicken with a rice cooker just to make sure it is has reached the proper cooking temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Once the chicken is cooked I shredded the chicken into large chunks, added in the frozen broccoli and yellow squash and put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and let it cook for 1 more hour. While that was cooking I cooked up some rice on the stove top (you can also use a rice cooker). You could also serve this chicken dish over noodles or mashed potatoes, and if you need low carb, just serve over mashed cauliflower instead.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Mushroom Chicken in Tomato is Weight Watchers Friendly on the new Personal Points plan. You can see the WW personal points for this recipe here on the Weight Watchers website. Click here for MORE of our Weight Watchers Recipes
More Fantastic Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes!
- 5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 5.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 6.5 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- 7 Quart Crock-Pot Recipes
- Chicken Crock-Pot Recipes
- Entrée Recipes
- Summer Recipes
Crock-Pot Mushroom Chicken in Tomato Recipe
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a 5 quart or larger slow cooker and season to your liking with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the diced onion and sliced mushrooms on top of the chicken.
- Pour the tomato soup over the top of the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker to cover.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Check the chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it has reached 165°F (74°C).
- Carefully remove chicken pieces from the slow cooker and place on a plate. Shred chicken meat with two forks and add the meat back into the slow cooker.
- Add the broccoli and yellow squash to the slow cooker and mix everything together.
- Recover slow cooker and cook for an additional 1 hour on LOW or until broccoli is done to your preference.